Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when, I bought the Pierce electric uncapping knife. But nothing lasts forever. So now I need to replace it. I have no provision for a steam knife.

The question is, just how efficient are the "cold" serrated knives, compared to the thermostat tipped electric knives? And how often do they dull, and need to be resharpened? Pros? Cons? Thoughts and opinions please? (Or is that like throwing red meat to a pack of wolves? :lpf:) :lookout:
Thanks in advance!
Steven

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I'm well satisfied with my Cutco serrated bread knife. I use it to do cutouts too. It works great.

I have an electric uncapping knife. For me, I can uncap 2-3 times as fast with my bread knife. I no longer use the electric heated uncapping knife.

I started using the bread knife this year, and it seems as sharp at the end of the season as when I started.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'll be interested to see the posts on this thread. I have an uncapping knife but its not electric. I'd like to see what others use and how they like or dislike their uncapping tools.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Last summer, I had pulled a super of spring honey. I looked for my electric uncapping knife and couldn't find it. In my home office, I have...just as decoration....a very old hand uncapping knife made by "Ham & Nott Mfg. Co., Limited. Brntford, Ont.". It was made out of thin carbon steel and it's still very sharp. Took me less time than the fatter electric one. I didn't even dip it in hot water. The comb was cool early in the morning and the caps sliced right off. As I continued to work, the slight build up of wax on the blade started to slow things down, which obviously is not a problem with the heated knives. In the fall, I had located my electric knife and used that but I'm not sure if I wasn't just happier with the ages old regular knife.

I have used a plane (not mine) and liked it very much. It was a Maxant model and if I need to replace my knife, that's what I'll use. I have arthritis in my hands and it was a lot easier for me to use.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has tried an electric serated knife? Like you would use to carve a Turkey. This is a question from someone that has never extracted honey, so don't beat me up too bad if this is a stupid question.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If I were replacing an electric knife there is no doubt in my mind I would go with a plane! They are just so much nicer than a knife in my opinion.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I used a capping scratcher:( not fun and now I have my master uncapping knife. love it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We have had trouble with our electric uncapping knife becoming to hot. How do you regulate the temperature on the blade to keep it from burning the honey on the blade? We are using one with the built in thermostat and one with the thermostat in the cord. We will adjust and before you know it the honey is boiling or burning on the knife.Do you just keep cleaning off the blade with a dry towel?

Thanks for the help. I have enjoy my nights of reading all the post.

Robert

·
Registered
175 Posts
Doc25 mentioned uncapping planes. I took and look at them online and I have to say I'm interested. Anyone have anything to say about planes one way or the other.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have all of the above . heated elect uncapping knife, a plain knife, a kelly elect vibrating knife,this fall was uncapping v.knife shot it down and pickeup a plain ole soard shaped butcher knife , and out done any of the other costly contraptions didn't dip hot water eather. this summer will sell all the rest.:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
With the Hackler you will need to be sure that the honey is very warm and increase the time in the extractor. Great tool if you use Permacomb.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm very happy with this thread as I own a large collection of Forschner knives, including the bread knife. :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have Kelley's Electric Vibrating Knife. Have had it over twenty years and it has served me very well. The weight of the comb slides down the knife and very little manipulation needs to be done. Now have arthritic hands and uncapping is still just as easy as before. They are quite costly now in comparison to when I bought it. I guess such a purchase would depend on the number of supers you would have to uncap. OMTCW

·
Registered
83 Posts
The vibrating knife never worked for me tears up to much comb mabe i'm not doing it wright. not worth the 400 or so ipayed for it my 2cents worth

·
Registered
410 Posts
In my operation, I had a cowan mini uncapper. All the low spots would be scratched with a scratcher. When comb was new and fragile I would only use the scratcher. I would uncap 90 boxes a day. In my openion a scratcher is faster than any knife.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tried a plane last fall and it worked great. I had trouble with the element getting way too hot when I set it down between scrapings. Called the supplier and they said return it and they would send another but while I was on the phone with them another person in the office asked if I was using the handy switch that was in the cord to the plane when I laid it down.:s Of course I had not and they advised that the temp would remain constant while uncapping but would climb to the point of vaporizing the residue if not turned off when idle (just what happened). I then tried it again and darned if they weren't correct. I will keep using it since it is easier on my wrist than a knife. I read the instruction sheet after talking to the supplier (I rarely read instructions because I like a challenge and I'm male ) but there was no advisement to switch off when idle. I guess I should have figured the switch was there for a reason but I missed it.:doh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts