Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to uncapping Fork, which is better to use. Straight uncapping fork, one with the angle fork or the one with the roller

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,161 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
lifting them off will result in many less wax crumbs clogging up your strainers compared to scratching.

the angled fork makes lifting them off easier.

didn't have much success when i tried the roller.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am glad to hear that about the roller. I have been wanting one ever since I saw them in the catalogs. It looks like such a good idea, but I can imagine it would clog up like Michael said. I am glad I never got one now!

I freeze my frames for a while before I extract them. I just set the whole super in the freezer. I only extract a super or two each year though. I just rake my angle fork across the cappings while its still frozen & it crumbles up nicely. It just takes so long because you have to make some many passes. Now if it was the width of
the medium frame, you could cover some ground with that!

Rob

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,161 Posts
>but I can imagine it would clog up like Michael said. I am glad I never got one now!

Some people love them. I will say if I was buying them again, I would get a narrow one and make more passes with less pressure required. Pushing on them wears you out and the narrow ones require less pressure. They are especially good for Honey Super Cell or PermaComb where you have plastic that can be damaged by a hot knife...

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I freeze my frames for a while before I extract them.
I think they will extract a lot easier if you heat them rather than freeze.

The first coupe of years we were extracting, we used the fork incorrectly, scratching. Plugging up the strainers was my big complaint. I bought a roller last fall which hasn't been used yet. Now I'm wondering if that was a mistake, guess I'll figure it out later this summer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I will freeze them because it gives me time so I dont have to extract it right away. I will scratch the cappings while its still cold, let em thaw in the extractor & then spin it out. You are right, it wouldnt extract very well frozen ;)

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts