Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there something else i can use for a scratcher, than the commercial type for uncapping comb? or is it best to just order one? Do you put the frame to be uncapped is just a plastic tub, before putting in the extractor? i told my wife about the nylon window screen for straining, and she suggested buying a strainer from the hardware store, would this be a good idea since i do like the idea o leaving the pollen, and maybe some wax? i had a friend, years back tell me if you don't screen with a fine nylon you will find bee legs, and other body parts in your honey. is there any truth to that? once it is strained, what is best thing to strain it into, for bottling honey, maybe the bears, are jars? i might as well ask the experts these simple question since your all here.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,029 Posts
>is there something else i can use for a scratcher, than the commercial type for uncapping comb?

I don't use the scratcher for much except ucapping drone to check for mites.

I use the tip of the uncapping knife instead. It takes a little practice but you can pretty much uncap all the low spots with the tip and the high spots with the edge. It's easier than changing tools all the time.

>Do you put the frame to be uncapped is just a plastic tub, before putting in the extractor?

My uncapping tank is plastic and has a board with a nail sticking up and you put the frame on the nail and rotate it on the nail to ucap into the tank. Then I turn around and put it directly into the extractor.

>i told my wife about the nylon window screen for straining, and she suggested buying a strainer from the hardware store, would this be a good idea since i do like the idea o leaving the pollen, and maybe some wax?

I have some nice stainless steel double basket strainers. But in the end I use the screen in the bottom of a double bucket. It's cheap, easy to clean, cheap to throw away when it's to clogged to clean up well and it's just the right amount of straining for what I want.

>i had a friend, years back tell me if you don't screen with a fine nylon you will find bee legs, and other body parts in your honey. is there any truth to that?

If you don't strain it with something you will, but they will float to the top anyway and you can skim them off. The screen wire or the double basket get out the legs.

>once it is strained, what is best thing to strain it into, for bottling honey, maybe the bears, are jars? i might as well ask the experts these simple question since your all here.

I strain it coming out of the extractor into five gallon buckets and then pour them into a five gallon bucket that has a honey gate and run that into the jars etc. just before I sell them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Michael, could you describe how to strain honey with the double buckets? I gather you cut the bottom out of one bucket and set it into another with the screen in between but how do you fasten the screen?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,029 Posts
I just use nylon window screen. It's stiff enough to fold it to fit and it stays in place.

Here is a picture of a double bucket on Topbarguys web site. You can buy them ready to go from Brushy Mt, but they are easy enough to make.

The wood block is to hold the screen above the holes to keep the honey flowing.
http://fire.prohosting.com/topbargu/harve.htm

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use the same double bucket method with just the regular wire window screen. It is stiff and screens just the right ammount. I cut a piece big enough so that when you put the top bucket in and press down, there is still screen hanging out. I agree with MB, that is all the screening you need. Any more and you take out alot of the beneficials of the honey. Let the honey sit if you like, covered, on a sunny deck or even in your car or truck on a sunny day with the windows up. This will speed up the debris floating to the top and you don't have to skim it, just be sure your using a bucket with a honey gate on it and don't bottle the last inch of honey in the bucket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts