Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hive has 8 frames uncapped syrup. Do they still have time to cap it, or should I remove it to avoid there being too much condensation? Here in Northern VA, the 10 day forecast looks like average highs of 63 deg. Lows of 45. Advice please.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
just being uncapped does not mean its high moisture. they don't cap until cells get full. better to leave on if hive is light vs starving.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
It nots much of a problem. They will continue to process on the warm days. Just check the inner cover to make sure condensation isn't building up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am in PA I would not take them out. I am trying this, advice from an old time beekeeper. I am going to put a wedge in the top of the lid so that it is sloped. Condensation runs to one end of hive instead of dripping down the middle of the frames. Also putting granulated sugar on the top inner cover and covering the top frames with newspaper and granulated sugar. The sugar should help absorb any condensation. He doesn't loose any of his hives through winter. I figure worth a try.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here is WV, am at 3,000 feet elevation, I have stopped feeding syrup, but have uncapped frames as well, am leaving mine. There will be days in 60's and 50's here for another month (I hope) . Should have time to working it up and as someone else stated they dont cap unless cell is full.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts