Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever frozen uncapped
frames of nectar over the winter. I was
just wondering if it would hurt to do this and then put them back on the hives the following spring.

·
Registered
211 Posts
just wondering if it would hurt to do this and then put them back on the hives the following spring.
Since nectar has a much higher water content, it can expand and break the wax comb when you freeze it then leak out of the frame when you thaw it out.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
how many do you have?
if you are a brewer, one could extract and use the sugar in them for the yeasts to consume.

unless there is a lot I would think the keep and give back is more work that it is worth.

IMO I would rather store wet extracted than partially filled with nectar.
I would likely after done extracting, pre cleaning out the gear, dunk them in warm water and extract, then my frames are all the same.

leaving them in the hive, they may get fermenting and drip on the bees, not sure the nectar would be any good by spring due to the same reason.

the comb has the value not so much the nectar.

GG

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I have seen damage; Perhaps it depends on how cold your freezer is set. Probably 20 Fahrenheit degrees variance. Mine is set to the coldest limit.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have frozen some when I did frame manipulations before adding honey supers. What runs out will get cleaned up by the bees very quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Some frames the nectar crystalized.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’d give a vigorous shake, get rid of watery nectar, store any viscous enough to not shake out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts