Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a deal on Brood Boxes and Supers. I have always bought from Mann Lake, but even the Budget Grade are $12.95 for deeps and $9.95 for mediums if you buy 5 at a time of each. The freight is free, but I wondered if anyone has found any better pricing including freight?

I'm only needing 5-10 of each.....just in case I need some spares.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If the free ship applies, then it is hard to bet their price. Even if you try to buy the lumber and do it all yourself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
IF you are willing to assemble 'dadoed' boxes vs. the more traditional 'finger-joint' boxes, then you can save about 50% on your box purchases at Honey Run Apiary here in Ohio.
While these boxes are harder to assemble, you will save a lot of money.
He has nice quantity discounting too.
I also like the fact he has 8 and 10 frame boxes.
I run all 8 frame mediums and am very satisfied with the boxes, lids and screened bottom boards I purchased.
Plus, you are supporting a nice couple with kids that have invested heavily in the business of beekeeping supplies as a family business.

Let me know if anyone needs to see pictures of my gear and post some photos.

http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/store/woodenware-c-78.html

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am building my own mediums for less than $3 each. One 6' 1x8 will make one medium box, the 6' boards are usually the cheapest (and shortest) length at my local lumber yard. I do all the cutting on a table saw with a regular blade, no fancy joints but good glue (Titebond III) and 1-5/8" screws hold everything tight and square for as long as I have been using them. Handles are 4" pieces of 1x2 firring strips, much easier to grasp than the machined-in hand-holds.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I was buying the economy from Dadant for about $7.50. I have a UPS account I have them ship on so I pay actual freight cost. On a 20 box order it would be about $3.00 a box actual cost to ship. Now I mostly order from Mann Lake and get the free freight.

Also there is a Dadant here in TX so I was paying sales tax and I don't have to with Mann Lake.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Western Bee has an ad on the inside cover of ABJ this month.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I buy mine from used pallet company in fresno. 10.50 $ assembled and painted. Just pick them up and put them to work, I've haven't seen a cheaper price anywhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts