Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 weeks ago I tryied to do a split. I thought I added a frame with a queen cell. Two regular brod heavy frames and two frames of honey. This was added to a medium 10 frame box.

Today I checked. I did not see a queen, however I saw lots of cells with multiple eggs in it. Laying works, I'm afraid.

Now what? There a good amount of bees on the frames, but I'm not sure if I should try to combine with the laying works around.

Appreciate advice on this one.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
could it be the new queen just trying to get the laying part down right? I think I have read that she can start of with multiple eggs in a cell. Are any of the larvae capped? If it's 100% drone, then you can be sure it's laying workers (or an unmated queen). Maybe also give them a new frame of eggs from a queenright hive to see if they make more queen cells.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Why did you do a split so early? 4 weeks ago is WAY to early regardless of the way the weather has been. Not so sure you did a split correctly if you are seeing a laying worker so early after your attempt.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Give them a frame of eggs if you have a hive to spare it from. Might have to do it several times over several weeks. The saying is a frame of eggs once a week for three weeks.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
825 Posts
Not sure of your weather but do you have drones flying yet?

Did you have drones flying four weeks ago? If not your queen could not have been mated.

Tell us a little more about the multiple eggs in the cells, were they placed in the bottom center or on the sides only, how many eggs per cell? As mentioned above you could just have a queen that has not quite got the hang of things, remember all of this is new to her too.

I would give them a frame of eggs and check back in about 3 to 4 days. No queen cells will tell you either you do have a queen or a laying worker. You will need to check the original frames for correctly laid eggs. Best is to locate the queen if you can.

·
Registered
623 Posts
hate to say it but, i think everyone has probably nailed the problem. and none of those are good outcomes. i lived in ur area for a few years and i cant think there would have been many drones flying a month ago to mate that queen well enough. soo yes its either an unmated queen or a drone laying worker. in either case,there isnt much you can do. the only thing that ever worked for me the one time i had a laying worker was i took all the frames out of the nuc and walked about 100 yards from the nuc and shook them out and added a frame of eggs. i had to do this every week for about 4 weeks. i never thought it would work. but, after the second shake, the laying stopped. then the following week they drew a queen. she wasnt the greatest either. as soon as she was laying, they actually superseded her right away. they got it right but man they barely made it into winter.

i really wish i had good news for you but im just expressing what i went through. i never beat around the bush .

personally, i would wait to see if that brood becomes worker in which case ur ok and shes just a slow ol' gal. if not, try and get rid of that laying worker ad combine. combining with a laying worker can be a challenge as well though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to answer some questions. I'm in north Californina. We really did not have any winter this year. Tempeture were well above 40 during the night and up to 70 during the day for the last 4 weeks. When I did my split, my two hives both had lots of drones and the feral hives close by did too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did think it matters, but to your question on were the multiple eggs were. It did look like most of the multi eggs were actually on the side of the frame and as you got more towards the middle, it seemed that they just layed one egg in the cell as she is supposed to do it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Not the location of the eggs in the frame, but the location of the eggs in the cells. A queen correctly laying eggs will deposit one egg, standing up in the bottom center of the cell. A queen that is just starting out will lay only 2 to 4 eggs in the bottom of the cells. A laying worker will lay up to 7 or 8 eggs in the cell, eggs will be laid on top of pollen and even on top of larva.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A queen that is just starting out will lay only 2 to 4 eggs in the bottom of the cells. A laying worker will lay up to 7 or 8 eggs in the cell, eggs will be laid on top of pollen and even on top of larva.
Your giving me hope. No cell had more than 4 eggs and they all were mixed with many correctly layed eggs. Also they where not on top pollen or larva.

·
Registered
137 Posts
this happened to me last year i thought i had a laying worker but in a week laying went back to normal and she increased the hive very quickly then swarmed and the next queen did the same thing but did not swarm.

·
Registered
887 Posts
if it's only been four weeks, I think you just have a young queen....give it another week and see what you have then. If you have some capped worker brood, your worries are over!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Looks like you have a laying worker
First pic looks like lots of drone comb to me.
Second pic bottom left, open patch of comb, many eggs laid in cells.
If this was the queenless half of the split give them another frame of eggs and four days to see if they will draw out a queen cell. Most likely just shake them out and take your boxes to the house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts