Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgrade in quotes because not all will agree.
I just purchased my 2nd UB suit. The original had zippers that failed. In addition the arm cuffs were a big let down and failed within the first year. The velcro was weak as was the elastic.
After getting the new suit I decided that I just couldn't trash the original, 5 YO suit. I did a little homework and found that the zippers probably just needed new, "sliders". I bought new sliders (these are the pieces that you pull up/down to open/close the legs & front) and put them on/in the old suit. Zippers work like brandy new now. The new suits use a larger size zipper which , I'm sure, is due to feedback about poor performance from the original.
Now that the zippers were as good as new I wanted to improve the sleeve cuffs. I've tried a few other measures to improve the quality of the cuffs but all were pretty crappy. I then had the idea to sew wrist bands (sweat bands) to the sleeves and that is the answer IMO. Check it out and if you like it fine. If not tell it to the wind馃槵

Attachments

Registered
+1 for creativity
Before i purchased mine (which im very happy with) i read alot that zippers are the most common to fail, across all mfgs... so to counteract i dont use them...lol. i let the zippers closed & slip on & off the jacket as you would a hoodie sweatshirt shrugs so far so good

Registered
I've had mine for two full seasons now and I have not had any trouble with the zippers. I may have the upgraded version.
I do have to wear a belt with my full suit to help keep the full weight of the suit off my shoulders. I thought the problem was that I have no rear end, but after looking at a picture of myself hiving a swarm in the mid 70's I see that the problem now is that my gut has eclipsed my butt.

Ladder Branch Plant Tree Wood

Registered
I've had mine for two full seasons now and I have not had any trouble with the zippers. I may have the upgraded version.
I do have to wear a belt with my full suit to help keep the full weight of the suit off my shoulders. I thought the problem was that I have no rear end, but after looking at a picture of myself hiving a swarm in the mid 70's I see that the problem now is that my gut has eclipsed my butt.

View attachment 65512
Climbing contraptions like that, it is a surprise you are still on the green side of the grass!:rolleyes:

Registered
Climbing contraptions like that, it is a surprise you are still on the green side of the grass!:rolleyes:
Young and dumb, for sure. Had I fallen I would have bounced right up, now I would land with a thud.

Alex

Registered
2021 17 hives
I have a no name ventilated jacket that I've always had problems with the zippers. After reading this thread I asked my wife if she could install a new zipper. She said yes and I'll see in a while how much it helps and for how long it helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts