Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch as live Small Hive Beetles are being repelled by the Neverwet coated aluminum flanges, these coated flanges will keep the Small Hive Beetles from entering your honey bee hive. They are to easy to make, install and inexpensive. Stop wondering if they work you'll see it here and now.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpeT0_JaNsQ

·
Registered
398 Posts
Re: ULTIMATE SMALL HIVE BEETLE PREVENTION, Test with live beetles

Jeff, your discovery is interesting. I'm concerned about how well the bees themselves can cross over the barrier. If that were worked out, I'd be interested in buying some pre-made strips or a pre-built bottom board to give it a trial run.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

Interesting, I wonder if painting the legs of your hive stand with that stuff defeats ants?
Bill

·
Registered
442 Posts

Interesting, I wonder if painting the legs of your hive stand with that stuff defeats ants?
Bill
rjwil24600 made comments in a previous thread about it also stopping ants.

I know I'll have an ant issue so I bought some of these to test. I tried two bowls with honey in them. Outside, one directly on a table and another on top of the ant barrier next to it. The bowl on the table had ants and ant barrier bowl didn't. The test was cut short due to rain. I plan detail it another thread I started about the Ant Barrier.

Having seen rjwil24600's previous video I plan to make some of these strips for my hives. I also plan to spray neverwet on the underside of the Ant Barrier caps to see if it works without anything in the oil reservoir.

I too would be interested in being able to buy these vs building. I would think something like an inner cover type thing with the strips instead of the board or even better something easily added like a queen excluder.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

this is genius if it works!

Im going to give it a try what do we have to lose?!?
Thanks for the idea mate!

·
Registered
81 Posts

Looks really promising... the ant question without oil is a great idea. Here in utah I have never seen shb but might be here some day.... Now ants those we have.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
470 Posts

Nice work Jeff,

I particularly like the manual suction small hive beetle collection system. Would you have any interest in sharing your SHB journey and discovery with a neighboring local beekeeper's association?

·
Registered
284 Posts

Has anyone tried trapping outside of the hives? I noticed my community feeders had a lot of beetles at them last year. They were around 100 yards from the hives. The beetles were up underneath them living in the debris that had accumulated. It made me wonder if the beetles could be attracted and poisoned away from the hives.

·
Registered
385 Posts

If bottom board is just sprayed with that NeverWet spray, will it have the same effect?
It might become very expensive bottom board, but in long run, I think, it will never get bad because of the weather.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hi Artur,

You need that Neverwet coated flange that creates a physical barrier that the hive beetles can not cross.

·
Registered
385 Posts

I am thinking to spray whole bottom board with it - will it work?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hi dlbright,

Every time I hear the word poison near Honey Bees, I cringe..... I can not tell you HOW much I hate hive beetles and how many hives I have lost before the Neverwet flanges. I would start with the coated flanges seal the hives add some oil or dryer sheet traps to the hives to quickly cut down the beetle population. Then come up with a better way to support the feeders without accumulating debris around and under them to starve the beetles out. My last resort would be hive beetle bait stations, which I do not use or need..... Good Luck.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Personally I would think that gravity would allow them to walk on a coated bottom board. It's the fact that they have to go upside down to crawl over the flanges and that they can't stick to the flanges that prevents them from walking up into the hive. Also they would be able to fly INTO the bottom board's front opening, so coating the legs of the hive wouldn't really affect them (maybe the ants though) or keep them from entering the hive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Hi Artur,

That would be over-kill all you need is that simple coated flange, it will stop the small hive beetle from crawling up into the frames and comb.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

NothMaine,

You are absolutely correct............

·
Registered
385 Posts

Hi Artur,

That would be over-kill all you need is that simple coated flange, it will stop the small hive beetle from crawling up into the frames and comb.
"Over-Kill" of what?
Instead of buying the flashing and painting, then stapling and so ... just spraying the bottom board is the easiest way to go for me.
The question is - will it have the same effect or not?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts