Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Uh, What is this on the bottom of my hive?

2223 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Dakota
They seem to be everywhere... Wood Wood stain Hardwood Table Lumber

And if it's wax, I'm going to need to have a seriously talk with my girls.....
See less See more
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Possibly they are making diamonds? Naw, it is unused dropped flakes of wax I believe. If it is not that, I dunno.
Possibly they are making diamonds? Naw, it is unused dropped flakes of wax I believe. If it is not that, I dunno.
I was afraid of that.... which brings me to another post I have on here.. WHY AREN'T THEY BUILDING COMB!? It's obvious they have the wax!!!! grrrr.
Clear wax? Never seen that before. Last I knew, new wax was snow white.
Wax flakes, they grow on the underside of the abdomen and are pieced together bit by bit to build comb
[QUOTE And if it's wax, I'm going to need to have a seriously talk with my girls.....[/QUOTE]

bring your hive smoker...
Is that finish on the inside of your hive? And what is it?
Wax scales. They run between clear and white. They chew them and mix some silver colored saliva with it to make that soft initial beeswax. After they are done constructing it they paint it with some yellow saliva that makes it tough and hard...
Thanks for the insight Michael..... I never knew. Love this site and the people that make it so great. Always learning.
Close-up Insect Organism Macro photography Pest
See less See more
[QUOTE And if it's wax, I'm going to need to have a seriously talk with my girls.....
bring your hive smoker...[/QUOTE]

so far, I've never used it. They've been quite docile with me, but that's also probably because they have no brood to defend... After the heat wave yesterday, my girls split themselves up into three clumps. One on top, one inside, and one underneath.... they never got back together inside the hive, so I'm pretty sure they are queenelss at this point.
Is that finish on the inside of your hive? And what is it?
No, although the ledge has a finish on it (tung oil). Inside is untouched.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.