Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so,

i inspected today ...went over and looked at a huge pile of dead bees on the ground by the hive legs.

so i figured i'd look in the window and saw some activity and kept looking at the back of the hive i noticed one comb w/ mold spores on it

so, it being about 40º i decided to open and get that thing out of there...

from there on i removed about 5 bars that had half full drawn honey comb on em and some dead bees on em as well.

i scooped out a huge pile of dead bees

and put the hive back together w/ the divider board facing a clean side this time.

i'm thinking i might go back in and remove the top hole screen...it was filled w/ propolis and i suspect this didn't allow for proper ventilation...i had hoped the bees might take care of it themselves but...nope.

still a fair amount of bees in there and i never did see the queen...i'm assuming she's in the cluster towards the front of the hive.

what are your thoughts on the condensation/water in the hive and any suggestions and how to approach this? i think removing the moldy comb was key but anything else i should do as well?

thanks in advance!!!

:)

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
How moldy was the comb, what color was it? May not be a big deal. Come spring the bees will clean it up.

What kind of top cover and bottom board do you have? Any kind of instulation ontop, where are you entrances/vents.

Eric

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How moldy was the comb, what color was it? May not be a big deal. Come spring the bees will clean it up.

What kind of top cover and bottom board do you have? Any kind of instulation ontop, where are you entrances/vents.

Eric
it was very moldy
it was white to blue mold and not very pretty.

i just wasn't sure what to make of it what with all the dead bees on the bottom and mold

my Htbh has a roof (from beethinking) and it also has no bottom board and it has a window...i suspect some air got in from here as well...

i did get back in today and removed the propolis from the screen...and put a new screen on the hole for better ventilation..

i'm hoping that helps w/ circulation.

thanks Eric for the help!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts