Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just got done with a 4 hour marathon of going through my 17 hives east of Saratoga ny.. all came through winter and we are just getting dandelions popping up. I went to reverse today and super. Well every single hive had swarm cells. I run mostly 2d 1m some times 3d and 1 med or 2d and 2 medium. I took out every frame shook and crushed the cells. Reversed and then added supers. I run no excluders. Just super frustrated I obviously missed the reversing window.. they deff had fresh nectar and alot of pollen.. keeping there fingers crossed this diverts even some of them. I don't have the resources to split everything up.. Definatly started thinking 3 hives inwhy do I like doing this so much again??

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Definatly started thinking 3 hives inwhy do I like doing this so much again??
I think we can all identify with this sentiment at times... From the outside looking in, I see the bright side- at least you are struggling with containing your hives rather than trying to keep your yard afloat.

Best of luck to you with your swarm management efforts.

Russ

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I'm near New Paltz and also had capped queen cells a week ago. I think it was swarm preparations. Next year I need to remember to start swarm prevention before April. By then it's too late -- the plan is in motion.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tried to follow the MP play book on when to do the reverse but feel we must be getting swarmy 2 or 3 weeks sooner than him. Pretty bummed out about them all wanting to swarm. I deliberately didn't fall winter or spring feed as last year was a battle because of spring protein. Hoping the new space for nectar will dissuade atleast some of them. Good news is all the drone bur comb was mite free that I saw..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts