Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stands for Ugly Drum Smoker. I will be building one of these in the next couple of weeks. Supposed to be a really good smoker. And really cheap to build. Good almost air tight smoker that burns for a really long time. So you don’t have to keep adding fuel. I will post pics of mine as I make it. Here are a couple of pics of the basic design.

Neil, If it works good. I will build you one and bring it to the buzz.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I don't think using an old diesel drum is the smartest thing. :doh:

Hey how about more detailed pics plus plans...I have a couple of old honey barrels around that I could use and I like the fact you can hang a whole quarter in it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
does Dadant carry bellows to fit that BIG smoker?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think using an old diesel drum is the smartest thing. :doh:

Hey how about more detailed pics plus plans...
Those drums are dime a dozen down here. Good clean ones too.

I have seen some detailed plans before. I will see if I can find them for ya.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The diesel fuel will make it easier to get burning.

Maybe a good air compressor instead of a set of bellows will make the smoke fly, a fellow could hook up an old swimming pool skimmer hose to the barrel and leave the barrel stationary while dragging the hose to each hive.

It really does look good all kidding aside!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Hey Hambone...why don't you plant a little grass for the kids to play in...you *******. :D

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Looks kinda heavy to carry to the bee yard.

That's what I was thinking! I'd have to load it onto the trailer each time.

Actually, used to smoke a turkey every Thanksgiving, but haven't done that for years. This year, we are doing two turkeys for Christmas. I think it's time to dust off the old smoker and try it out on one of the birds and do the other traditionally in the oven. I have some apple, apricot, hickory and pear wood to use for smoke flavoring. Need to choose one. Anyone ever try grapevine... I have some of that, also but never thought to use it for smoking.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone ever try grapevine... I have some of that, also but never thought to use it for smoking.
Yes. But probably not for what your talking about. :)

For Turkey I would use the apple and the hickory together. I use that for poultry and pork. Good combo.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice pics Ruben! I like the first one with the pic of Lee Ann. I love that show. I have a buddy here that has started a team and is doing comps next year. I am going to be a worker for him at a few of the local comps. It’s going to be cool.

Just got my drums in this afternoon. Starting construction in the morning.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
<Nice pics Ruben! I like the first one with the pic of Lee Ann. I love that show.>

Lee Ann is nice, that pic was at Que and Cruz Virginia State BBQ Championship. We beat her in chicken and ribs and she beat us in pork and brisket. The show rocks, I have competed several times with Tuffy, Lee Ann and Johny Trigg. Usually get my but kicked by them also :)

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are a few pics of 3 that I made yesterday. Still have 2 lids and 2 fire boxes to finish. I will wrap them up in the next day or so. Then I will have to do one real hot burn, to burn off the lining and then one to figure out my opening settings to control my temps. Real easy to build.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
You might want to remove your valves before you do some hot burns to remove the paint on the inside. I think the nylon bushings for the ball valve will melt if you don't.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was thinking that too. I have a few extra valves laying around so I am going to try the first burn off with them in and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts