Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Ubuntu or try Mint

Being an IT person, I quit playing with the stuff like this long ago.
:)

I simply buy a device with whatever OS has been installed on, use it, and run it into the ground.
Then buy a next device with whatever on it...
Being an IT person myself, your statement could mean one of countless things. Part of IT is fixing problems and improving safety and performance, so there's *always* a certain level of "playing with the stuff".

As another person said, it's the software that is designed for the money machine.

I have high performance machines, quad core desktops and laptops, more RAM than I ever imagined possible, multiple monitors with great graphics, and storage/backup drives that measure in terrabytes with SSD boot drives for quick powerup. ALL my hardware is off-lease equipment purchased for pennies on the original dollar off of eBay.

Personally, I love high power equipment and using the money saved on toys, improving my nest egg, or a million other things instead of treating technology as disposable.

Personally, I've been using Linux Mint for about 12 years now and have no need, nor desire to EVER go back to Windoze or mortgage the future to join the Apple Life$tyle.

Between their excellent forums https://forums.linuxmint.com/index.php and Google, it's all gone very well.

In the rare case somebody needs a Windoze specific piece of software, VirtualBox lets you set up a virtual machine inside your regular desktop. So you click an app and a new window opens up that is another computer running Windows 7 or 10 inside your Linux machine. In cases like these, I cut the virtual Windoze machine off from internet access to minimize risk and threats to the vulnerable Windoze OS.

Sure, the newer stuff probably uses less watts of electrojuice, but my hardware would have gone to disposal. Still working just fine. Since I produce my own solar electricity, for me, the power situation is not an issue.

Mint or whatever version you choose makes for a GREAT, hassle free computing experience.

Virtually never have to install a driver.
Virtually never have to think about anti-virus or malware.

For 95% of computer users, Linux (for me, Linux Mint) makes perfect sense.

And yes.
You can do it.
Take a deep breath.
Step at a time.
Walk away for a break when you get frustrated... and oh yeah: JOIN THE FORUM!!! That's where questions get answers. Period!
https://forums.linuxmint.com/index.php

Dual booting works, I stopped doing that a LONG time ago, because I never booted into Windows any more and as stated above... now I use a virtual machine (VirtualBox) that still doesn't get used! Just loving Mint and excited for the new LTS (Long Term Service) release coming out any day now.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts

Being an IT person myself, your statement could mean one of countless things. Part of IT is fixing problems and improving safety and performance, so there's *always* a certain level of "playing with the stuff"..
Of course.

This is exactly what I said I don't do anymore - flipping an OS as a possible fix to some not-understood problem.
Which is discussed here.
While ago it was fun thing to do maybe - but now days this is not the most effective way to solve a problem at hand when I'd rather be beekeeping.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I too work in IT for a long time.
I only use Linux Mint at Home for last 10 years.
I always have a Windows computer around, sometimes there are programs that just work better in Windows.
I use Windows 10 at work only.
I just don't feel secure using Windows at home.

If the dual option is not available when installing Linux, probably no space on the computer.
If it is a desktop, install an SSD drive. If it is a laptop, you could try installing onto a USB.

You may have to wipe the drive and start over with installing Windows first, just make sure you don't install using the entire drive, then install Linux for a dual boot option.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts

(I have used Ubuntu/Linux only to fish out important documents from a broken hard disk.)
This is exactly how, long ago, I got into making a double-boot using Ubuntu - was trying to save data from a damaged Windows partition.
Did not work for me for any reason.
Ended up paying money to extract the lost files.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Try Linux Mint 20 'Ulyana' LTS - released today

The brand new LTS (long term service) version of Linux Mint was released for (free) public download this morning.

It's Linux Mint 20 ('Ulyana') and based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS ('Focal Fossa').
The LTS versions are maintained for 5 years, meaning this version will have security and bug fixes provided for free until June 2025.

Enjoy!
Linux Mint 20 download page

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Changing over entire OS due to this minor issue is like trying to smack a fly with a sledgehammer around the house.
Posting with Firefox on Ubuntu. You said in another post that you keep your machine original and run it until it's done. Me too for the most part. I bought this one with Win7 and it worked just fine. I upgraded to Win10 and it still worked mostly fine but slower. I considered using the recovery partition and going back to the original Win7 that would do massive updates to be an old OS with mediocre security. I have been using a Pi for fun and read that Ubuntu was Debian based like the Pi. So I thought it might be similar.
ks

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Posting with Firefox on Ubuntu. You said in another post that you keep your machine original and run it until it's done. Me too for the most part. I bought this one with Win7 and it worked just fine. I upgraded to Win10 and it still worked mostly fine but slower. I considered using the recovery partition and going back to the original Win7 that would do massive updates to be an old OS with mediocre security. I have been using a Pi for fun and read that Ubuntu was Debian based like the Pi. So I thought it might be similar.
ks
I would never monkey with the original EOM OS - just leave alone and run with it to the end.
Those "free" Windows upgrades are nothing but trouble.
I still own Win 7 machines and never consider upgrading.
Only the death will do us apart; Win 7 is a fine OS.

If feel like upgrading - instead buy a new OEM hardware device with the OS preinstalled and be done with it.
In today's world, the devices are disposable anymore.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would never monkey with the original EOM OS - just leave alone and run with it to the end.
Those "free" Windows upgrades are nothing but trouble.
I still own Win 7 machines and never consider upgrading.
Only the death will do us apart; Win 7 is a fine OS.

If feel like upgrading - instead buy a new OEM hardware device with the OS preinstalled and be done with it.
In today's world, the devices are disposable anymore.
wow.
Where to start? Let me focus on the last comment:
Many in "today's world" do not accept this disposable device mentality is a good thing and choose other options or do what we can to stretch the life as long as possible.
If we treat the world as disposable garbage, that's what our lives will become.
Say nothing about our bees and what they do and represent.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
wow.
Where to start? Let me focus on the last comment:
Many in "today's world" do not accept this disposable device mentality is a good thing and choose other options or do what we can to stretch the life as long as possible.
If we treat the world as disposable garbage, that's what our lives will become.
Say nothing about our bees and what they do and represent.
No need to say "wow".
If anyone on this forum is a pack rat - it is me and I am proud of it.
Most anyone here knows I run my bee "business" directly from a garbage can and using reclaimed bees.

Of course the modern IT devices are DISPOSABLE.
You buy it, you use it, you dispose of it.
There is no useful value in an obsolete electronics device (outside of some metals, if that).

Who in their right mind will take an old PC or a TV or a phone into repair shop?
Kidding me?
There is no electronics repair shop; there is no such thing anymore.

The modern electronics are generally disposable items - no IF and no BUTs about it (unlike many other items such as reclaimed wood and metal and plastics and tools which are occupying my entire garage instead of the cars).

I run my electronics until they physically worn out OR the software is so old it is just major PITA to use anymore.
And them I dispose them properly.
Heck, still own an operational cassette player and tapes that it can play.
But honestly I need to dispose of this player since all the same music is available directly on-line (and more!)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Welcome to the club! After you get comfortable you can start personalizing your setup and get it just as exactly you like it.
I'm not sure what I would change yet. The only programs I used that are not available for Linux are Atmel Studio and MPLAB, both for programming microcontrollers. They both have to be done by people using Linux so I'll figure it out.
ks

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I'm not sure what I would change yet. The only programs I used that are not available for Linux are Atmel Studio and MPLAB, both for programming microcontrollers. They both have to be done by people using Linux so I'll figure it out.
ks
It's been a few years since I worked with anything from Microchip, but when I did, MPLab was available for and ran fine on linux. For Atmel, compilers and programmers are available, avr-gcc to compile and avrdude to program. The Arduino IDE is based on those two, which I have used. I haven't looked around, but I'm sure there are setups for bare chip development, probably something based on Eclipse. Most of what I work with these days is based on arm or mips for the target processor, and we tend to run a stripped down linux on the target for most projects.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It's been a few years since I worked with anything from Microchip, but when I did, MPLab was available for and ran fine on linux. For Atmel, compilers and programmers are available, avr-gcc to compile and avrdude to program. The Arduino IDE is based on those two, which I have used. I haven't looked around, but I'm sure there are setups for bare chip development, probably something based on Eclipse. Most of what I work with these days is based on arm or mips for the target processor, and we tend to run a stripped down linux on the target for most projects.
Microchip dropped the Linux version of MPLab. They also bought Atmel. The Microchip website had a gnu tool chain download which I got but I will install it when I read up on how to do that and how to use it. I had the avr-gcc and avrdude woking under Windows before and I'm looking into that too. A lot of hits on google had avr-gcc/avrdude. Pretty much all the microcontroller programming I do at home now is on an arduino. I'll look into Eclipse and see what it is.
ks

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Pretty much all the microcontroller programming I do at home now is on an arduino. I'll look into Eclipse and see what it is.
ks
If it's for an arduino, just install the arduino ide and call it good. sudo apt-get install arduino will get a useable not to old version, or go install it manually from arduino website to get the most up to date, if the ubuntu package is out of date by a lot.

FWIW, I've used the ubuntu package version for years, the only time it was an issue was when I needed to do some work for a new board not supported by the version in package trees at the time. We use arduino to prototype a lot of things for clients these days, it's so much faster and cheaper than fussing with custom development boards. Arduino and a couple of breadboards can prototype just about anything.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The arduino ide was the first thing I installed. Knew it from the Pi. At work I use arduinos at my bench for trouble shooting without pulling a production tester off the line.
ks

21 - 38 of 38 Posts