Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been toying with the idea of trying Linux for a long time but never got ambitious enough to learn it. A week ago Microsoft decided it was a good business decision to make me watch an advertisement every couple of games of solitaire. No thanks. Even though I got Win 10 for free upgrade from Win 7 this is not right. I downloaded the Ubuntu image and made a bootable flash drive. The instructions I found online all said dual boot was the selection to make but it wasn't there. If I was single I would have let it remove Win 10 and put Ubuntu on the computer. I checked online again and am seeing if chkdsk will fix the problem.
ks

·
Registered
361 Posts
Are you wanting encouragement of advice? On all 5 of my active computers home and work, I use Debian Linux, and have not run Winders for about as long. Other than that which is required by work, I do not run any micorsoft products except outlook mail. Unless you are a huge gamer, or do government contracts that require documents to actually be in Microsoft Word latest version, you can live a long happy life in any of the Linux distributions, and Ubuntu is quite a popular one, with lots of online documentation. When I got started in Linux it was 1991 and when you needed or asked for help, the main answer was "RTFM". There are still some people like that, but fewer and farther between. You can certainly use a Live Image on dvd or thumbdrive or simply install it! Or you can dual boot. There are a few things to get used to, but that would be the case with anything, even between versions of Winders. (I know, I started with DOS and went to OS/2 before I reluctantly went to Winders.) I worked for enough places that were Winders shops, so I was kind of required to use it, but since I work in Unix and Linux shop now, so far, there have been no such requirements, so long as I can interact on MS-Teams and there is a client for Linux. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was mostly venting frustration. I've been RTFMing and youtubing and googling. Made a new partition and the installer sees all kinds of dev/sda stuff. I'm pretty sure how to proceed but I'm backing up the import stuff before I click install. The few really important documents fit on a thumb drive. The pictures are another story.

I had hoped to be replying from ubuntu. Next time.
ks

·
Registered
361 Posts
well /dev is where all your devices are. sda is your first hard drive and then the numbers represent partitions. You would do well to have separate partitions for certain things. There are lots of tutorials online about how to configure partitions for linux installation. Or you can do it all on 1 but that is definitely not recommended.

·
Registered
648 Posts
After the learning curve, which isn't too steep, you will love Ubuntu. I'm going to guess that you will want the Gnome Desktop which is very similar to Windows.

Last fresh install I put on Ubuntu was using Unity desktop which I didn't like at all. A few easy commands and *poof* Unity was gone & now it looks similar to Win.

Good luck & welcome to the club. Several on here use it so if you ask questions you will probably get a quick answer.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I have not taken the time to actually use it beyond making mirror images. I have mint version installed in a separate partition. Bailed me out several times to boot into mint when windows 10 is being windows. Have made good use of Libre. I am not paying for a subscription to use basic office tools. Lost my old office when going from 7 to 10. That was enough to annoy me over the edge to mint and Libre.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Being an IT person, I quit playing with the stuff like this long ago.
:)

I simply buy a device with whatever OS has been installed on, use it, and run it into the ground.
Then buy a next device with whatever on it...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Apparently your ground is closer than mine.
The hardware is fine, it's the software that gets windmilled through the money machine.

(If it ain't broke buy a new one)

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Apparently your ground is closer than mine.
The hardware is fine, it's the software that gets windmilled through the money machine.

(If it ain't broke buy a new one)
Been many, many years since I bought any software anymore.
Waste of money.

Anything used at home is free or came with the device(s).
Anything used for work - provided by the organization.
I say if you spend $$$ for software now days - there is something wrong there.

Best to always purchase the bundle of hardware and preinstalled software and keep it that way.

PS: well, I pay $25/year for a malware program subscription - for that funny price, the malware protection is worth it;
that is the only software expense that is worth it, possibly

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
A week ago Microsoft decided it was a good business decision to make me watch an advertisement every couple of games of solitaire. No thanks.
ks
Surely, you can download a dozen of games of solitaire and play them without the ads.
Better yet just play on-line and don't install anything at all (much safer too).
You can google for "free game solitaire".

Changing over entire OS due to this minor issue is like trying to smack a fly with a sledgehammer around the house.

·
Super Moderator
11,004 Posts
Been many, many years since I bought any software anymore.
Waste of money.

Anything used at home is free or came with the device(s).
Anything used for work - provided by the organization.
I say if you spend $$$ for software now days - there is something wrong there.

Best to always purchase the bundle of hardware and preinstalled software and keep it that way.
I recently had a need to edit PDFs of scanned newsletters that had then been run through an OCR process (Optical Character Recognition) to make the text of the newsletters searchable online. If you have used OCR, you are probably aware that OCR is less than perfect, and probably will need to be edited to fix the errors.

Here is your challenge: Identify a method that allows editing an existing PDF (source file not available) without spending money for software.:lookout:

Adobe Acrobat DC is about $180 if you want to edit PDFs.
I found an alternative in Affinity Publisher (on sale) for $25, but I looked hard for a better deal. Both of those are Mac/Windows only.

And yes, I have been a Ubuntu user for more than 5 years, but options for "real" editing of PDFs are few and far between, regardless of Win/Mac/Linux. I had to drag out my "hidden/backup":p Windows 10 box that hasn't even been booted up for over a year to run Publisher.

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
150 Posts
Linux user for almost 18 years now. Tried a few different distros and quickly setled on Mandrake, (ancient fork of Red Hat) which merged with Conectiva and changed its name to Mandriva, died (except in Russia & Brazil) and was forked into Mageia, PCLinixOS and OpenMandriva. I went with the Mageia fork though still have a working 12 year old Mandriva install.

So, Ubuntu would not be my first choice. Very popular today and I'm quite sure it has improved since Warty Warthog :)

Any Linux has a bit of a learning curve but one you get it set up to your liking it just works! And you will grow to hate Windows. However a clean install of Windows (corprate or a refurb) is a breath of fresh air compared to the bloated mess that comes with an OEM consumer Windows.

One further advantage of descendants of Mandrake is avoiding the command line. They have the best GUI (Graphical User Interface) tools to administer your computer. Obviously if you want to earn a living as a Linux admin you would do just the opposite.

Oh, no ads in solitaire on Linux. They call it Klondike on my old rig. Have learned on my smart phone to turn off 'data' while playing solitaire.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Here is your challenge: Identify a method that allows editing an existing PDF (source file not available) without spending money for software.

Try "edit pdf free online"?
That's what I do for my limited personal needs.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
However a clean install of Windows (corprate or a refurb) is a breath of fresh air compared to the bloated mess that comes with an OEM consumer Windows.
I guess some of us get to work on corporate versions of the Windows - clean.

But I have to say Win 10 that came preinstalled on my current box used to watch TV works just fine as it is.
I don't see anything wrong with bare-bones consumer Win 10.
Just keep it clean and use it clean and don't install junk - which is not needed anyhow.
I don't see ever to install anything anymore.

·
Super Moderator
11,004 Posts
Try "edit pdf free online"?
That is not really a reasonable response -- none of the possibilities that came up when I tried that actually "work" to edit PDFs. There are some that will "opaque out" a portion of the image and superimpose a different image, but that is not editing a PDF. So .... propose your vendor/program. Prove me wrong. :p

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Changing over entire OS due to this minor issue is like trying to smack a fly with a sledgehammer around the house. :)
True. The adds were the straw that broke the camels back. I'm pretty good with a sledge hammer.

It turns out between my wife and I, we had three cloud storage thingies already. It's crazy how long it takes to get 15,000 pictures into the "cloud".
Thanks for listening. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
ks

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
That is not really a reasonable response -- none of the possibilities that came up when I tried that actually "work" to edit PDFs. There are some that will "opaque out" a portion of the image and superimpose a different image, but that is not editing a PDF. So .... propose your vendor/program. Prove me wrong. :p
Well, here I am editing a PDF as of this writing - took about 10 minutes of Googling.
For example, here is a good article:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-microsoft-365-for-free/

Required - a FREE account at Microsoft.
This is linked to my historic hotmail email account - I have had the Microsoft account many years.

However, creating this account is a matter of few minutes and a credit card # (which will not be charged).

Once you create a such free account, you have free access to Microsoft 365 online tools - which include MS Word - which is a PDF editor.

So I got this PDF:
https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFil...500/413-Villa--Swarming Behavior of Honey.pdf

Saved a copy into my OneDrive (cloud storage associated with my free account).

And here is my edit done for the test purposes on my screen (I don't want to attach a hijacked copy of the PDF - unsure if legal):
TestEdit.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used an old HP laptop, loaded a very light distro (Mate) on it and then setup Pi-Hole on it. It has essentially become a DNS server that filters out all advertising before it ever gets on your network and slows everything down. Pi-Hole was designed to work on a mini-computer called the Raspberry Pi, but it works great on other devices too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts