Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well by the time I could open the TB hive for inspection(7000ft in Montana) all my bees were dead of starvation. I also noticed some black mold on the inside of the hive which leads me to believe it was too humid as well, but this didn't kill them.

I have ordered an emergency replacement package but I have decided that the warre hive makes mor sense 2 me so I am going to give it a try hopefully transferring the hive from the TB hive to the warre by late summer(money issues); the experiment continues.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,016 Posts
If syrup won't make it to 50 F (in other words nights are on the 50s F) then you need to heat the syrup up at least once a day so they can "tank up" on syrup to get them through without starving. Empty the feeder into a saucepan and heat until you can barely stand the heat (I should get a thermometer and figure out how hot that is... probably about 130 F or so.) and then put it back in the feeder and back on the hive. Anytime of day will do as they will then fill their stomachs and that will get them through another day. Night time has the advantage of providing them with some heat at night when it's colder.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
How do folks give tbh solid sugArs in the winter?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts