Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I work we use Tyvek jump suits. Would these make good Bee suits?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'd say they would make good beesuits. I use a thin rip-stop nylon suit that bees technically COULD sting through... they just don't. The bees just don't think they can, so they don't try. A thin suit is much more comfortable... give it a try.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm with you Nancy....Have plenty of Tyvek that is thrown away at work that I've planned to use all along. Have to also agree with Mike regarding comfort though. In my case, I'll only have one hive and be real close to the house so I'll only be steaming for a little. I'd hate to think of working all afternoon in the direct sun wearing one of those sweat boxes.

David

·
Registered
458 Posts
I use tyvek when the bees get alittle angry or when I extract hives out of walls and such... Ive never been stung either.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am used to my gentle bees. I've never thought I needed a beesuit. Regular blue jeans work good. A long sleeve white cotton shirt worn over a regular t-shirt, with a decent veil. Even when they get pissed off, they only go for the veil.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I never wear shorts but I wear a T shirt, jeans and a veil. During removals I wear my navy blue coverals. I was a plumber before my back injury and had these so I use them. I want to get stung some and from time to time grab a bee and make it sting me. I did not get a sting when I used my coveralls. I like those that think before spending money.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hillbillynursery,

I have always tried to go the cheap way. Buying used equipment, using something for other than it was designed for, and keeping an eye out for when things sometimes fall off the truck :D My ex-wife took mostly everything but even before her I was a trash picker

Fat Nancy

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
My first suit was a Tyvek suit bought through one of the beekeeping suppliers; can't remember which one (think it was Brushy Mountain). Anyway, it cost $9.99 and they said to order the next larger size because they have a tendency to tear. It never did tear and I keep it in my shed as a spare. I've since bought myself a really good suit and a jacket to boot. Funny thing is, after the first year, I never either of them on again. I work my bees in t-shirt and shorts. But I'm sure a time will come when I'll need it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts