Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this might be a silly question but I'm gonna ask anyway. Can you graft a larva out of a drone cell into a queen cup? I was thinking it would be easier to see into a drone cell to graft from that from a worker cell?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Eggs layed in drone cells are not fertilized by the queen as she is laying them. They will not become anything other than Drones.

In regards to marking a virgin queen I have read that you will make her more of a target when she is doing her mating flights.
Why not wait until she has proven herself before putting the effort into marking her.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>Ok this might be a silly question but I'm gonna ask anyway. Can you graft a larva out of a drone cell into a queen cup? I was thinking it would be easier to see into a drone cell to graft from that from a worker cell?

Yea... I don't understand your purpose. It will not become a queen...

>Also is there any problem with marking virgin queens?

Yes. They have a tendency to fly when you try to catch them and sometimes they do not come back...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
>Ok this might be a silly question but I'm gonna ask anyway. Can you graft a larva out of a drone cell into a queen cup? I was thinking it would be easier to see into a drone cell to graft from that from a worker cell?

Yea... I don't understand your purpose. It will not become a queen...

>Also is there any problem with marking virgin queens?

Yes. They have a tendency to fly when you try to catch them and sometimes they do not come back...
My purpose would be like I stated above, that it would be easier to see into and graft out of a drone cell. I was unaware that the queen fertilized worker eggs and not drone eggs. I guess I was thinking that the workers some how decided? Like I said it was a silly question in the first place. I guess I should've put a little more thought into it. Thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In regards to the marking of virgin queens. I just like to get things done when the opportunity presents itself. I seem to be able to find them relatively easy so I figured I would just mark her. I guess time will tell if it had/has any impact on her being mated or returning from a fleight???

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Virgin is runny and hard to catch hiding on the comb. She might not make it
back from her mating flight. I rather wait for a laying queen and then mark her.
Treat her like a new queen so the workers will not ball her after marking her.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
In regards to the marking of virgin queens. I just like to get things done when the opportunity presents itself. I seem to be able to find them relatively easy so I figured I would just mark her. I guess time will tell if it had/has any impact on her being mated or returning from a fleight???
Mated queens, which are bigger and slower, are hard enough to grab off of the comb. So, I wouldn't bother. But, go ahead. You may find out why it isn't recommended.

Do you have much experience finding and picking up virgin queen bees?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
That would be interesting to see if you ended up with a gigantic drone.
I would predict that grafting drone larvae into a queen cup that one would find the workers will clean it out rather than feed it. But, knowing what is now known I don't see why one would graft into queen cups from drone larvae except just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
You would end up grafting them at the same age (approximately the same size) so there wouldn't be much difference in grafting difficulty. If you are having trouble seeing into the cell a few things can help... use black pierco foundation and shave the cell walls down.

They do end up removing the larvae if you happen to graft a drone larvae.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The black plastic makes grafting easier for me. If you are having trouble seeing down into the cell you can take a small tool and break down the side of the cell so you can see a little better. One of those desk mounted or head mounted magnifying glasses makes seeing so much easier too. I wouldn't try to catch many virgins if you miss the first grab you are unlikely to get a second chance, they will fly at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Ok this might be a silly question but I'm gonna ask anyway. Can you graft a larva out of a drone cell into a queen cup? I was thinking it would be easier to see into a drone cell to graft from that from a worker cell?
Remove the bee suit and step away from the hive very slowly. Hands where I can see them. Now walk away from the hive(s) and put down the smoker and hive tool.
You are officially on beekeeper probation. Double secret probation at that.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Also is there any problem with marking virgin queens?
Um....hey who knows? Give it a try. Go ahead and watch the queen(s) you worked so hard to raise fly away. After a few dozen you will get the idea.
Even newly mated and laying queens will fly away. I've lost a couple and I've snatched a couple of others out of the air.
I really think you are getting way ahead of yourself here. I'm not trying to urinate in your breakfast cereal but you are setting yourself up for disappointment be entering into this without knowing a little basic biology for reproduction. I'm not trying to be harsh but please give yourself a shot at this by getting some more edjumication.
Good luck and don't flame me-I'm just being a constructive and helpful soul.:p

·
Registered
99 Posts
In regards to marking a virgin queen I have read that you will make her more of a target when she is doing her mating flights..
That makes sense. Last year I did mark 2 or 3 virgins as I found them and wanted to keep track of them. They were gone in a day or two and I never saw them again. I ended up combining their nucs back with other colonies.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Virgin is runny and hard to catch hiding on the comb. She might not make it
back from her mating flight. I rather wait for a laying queen and then mark her.
Treat her like a new queen so the workers will not ball her after marking her.
Should one put her in a cage with candy for release?
I use a marking tube and leave her in it in the hive for bit to dry. There are usually bees on it. I then pull out the plunger, put it over the frames and letters her walk out. Is that not enough..are they likely to take offense?
I also usually use a very light smoke when she returns and as I test my pen on the top of a bar the pen scent is already in the hive.
The thought of them balling her is a big concern for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts