Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking you because our northerly location and 3,200 feet elevation produces a climate more like you than the rest of Texas....

My bees have been real active this week, we have 8 inches of snow forecast over the next few days. When should start thinking about feeding the 1:1 out of the hive top feeders? Is still too early?

I figure this:

Soon/First week of February – check granulated sugar and start feeding with hive top feeders to administer medicated syrup (Honey Bee Healthy and Fumagilan), and additional feedings for weak, honey short hives (example, the swarm I got in the fall). May stick in a pollen patty, too.

Early March / pear bloom – remove granulated sugar, hive top feeders, reverse boxes, and if seven out of the top 10 frames are built in wax, add queen excluders and honey supers. I may keep feeding a hive that is short on that top box until 7 of the 10 frames are full. May stick in a pollen patty, too.

Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
359 Posts
Depending on weather, I've scheduled to start feeding 1:1 by feb.15

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good. Thanks, much.

Are your bees active today? Mine sure were.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Was in Lubbock all day, got to check my bees around 5 pm. Temp still 62 and bees were flying on all hives.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Was in God's Country all day, got to check my bees around 5 pm.
Fixed it for ya. :)

I know ya'll are in a higher elevation and cooler avg temps, but I figured ya'll would start Jan 25th-Feb 1st. We start Jan 1st here. So I figured you to start 3-4 weeks later.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. This all helps. I hope to start feeding next week or the next.

God's Country - YES! :applause:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Heck of a storm today. Rain started about 3am, turned to ice by daylight. All of our trees have many broken limbs. Power out from around 9am to 6pm. yesterday, 63 deg. and bees flying, today...ice, snow and 30 mph wind.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear ya. We have power. Probably 7 inches of snow, but hard to tell because you see grass, and then there are 3 foot drifts.

Do you farm?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Fed the last 2 week with 1-1 and megabee open. This cold snap will bee out of here in a few days. Going to try and do splits, along with catching swarms. Hope to go from 8 to 20 this year. Don't know if my location will support that many or not.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Beaverdam, was wondering how you were getting your bees to take 1:1, then I saw you live in Azle, TX. I used to live near Rhome. I remember one year, we had our first 100 deg. day on April 15th. I bet you can get it done in your area, we're still a ways off out here in the wide side of TX.

Jim Ray, no I don't farm. But, most of my wife's family does.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts