Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any of you two-way pallet operators that overwinter outdoors:

Do you have a favorite winter wrap setup? We can get quite cold, harsh winters and have normally wintered individually wrapped doubles with telescoping lids.

Our hives are now palletized singles on half-pallets (side by side in pairs with migratory lids). "U" style clips used so the hives are tight to each other. Upper entrances are a must here with the moisture build up and we want to cover the whole hive but leave access to the upper entrance if possible (upper entrances not shown in the pic). We would like to keep the migratory lids as opposed to wintering with telescoping style, as these telescoping will not fit side by side with the lid overhang as you can see in the attached photo.

The closest option I can find is a 4-way pallet cover with upper entrances. I suppose we could set up the two-ways back to back and utilize this style..?

We are hoping to transition to a basic indoor wintering facility, but that won't be ready for this upcoming season. So, wondering what others have come up with and prefer!

Thanks,
Two Way Example.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know it is winter now but Pedersens winters in singles. Link Pedersen Apiaries We have been trying to get nucs through the winter here in Michigan and have tried stacked 4 frames but are doing several singles this year. I made styrofoam boxes to go over our singles, 2" covering 5 sides. No bottoms and so far they are doing well this winter.

The styrofoam is repurposed but free. I just set the lids in place so I did not have to haul home and back. We even put 2 four frames under one cover and they are doing fine as of Feb 1.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I have put 4 and 5 hives lined up in a row with foam between and a common long piece behind. It is a problem though as mentioned with telescopic covers. Also a problem with different hive height combinations and the biggest issue is difficulty doing quick cold weather inspections. That discourages getting into hives when you should be doing it. Getting something easy on and off that stores well would be my main considerations.

I think at least 3 inches foam for the top is worthwhile but what is on the sides not so important. It sure would make things simpler if your configuration is constant. Mine is a hodge podge and I never look forward to winterizing. Every year I swear I am going to clean up my act.

Pedersens success is very impressive.

·
Registered
340 Posts
-36 here today with winds up to 40 clicks. We winter 4 two deep with upper entrances to a pallet. Winter temps here require wrapping buy the best means possible to ensure heat retention to survive our winters.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Coldest I have ever been was working in Labrador City in March a few years ago -27C. Hard to work outside all day in that. Michigan is cold enough for me and my bees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts