Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A colony of bees that has been living in an abandoned compost box on the side of my house has swarmed today. They settled into a nearby tree on my property.

I'm very excited as I have been wanting to get into beekeeping for a while and today I have my chance! I have a couple of hives that I set up last year and are ready to go.

The bees have settled into two separate clusters in the tree, each about the size of a football. So I am wondering if this is one swarm or two separate swarms each with their own queen? Fairly certain they all swarmed from the same colony, I saw the cloud of bees come up from the compost box today. So my question is, should I knock each cluster into its own hive or put them all together?

Also, I don't have any old comb to put in the new hive, I have read about rubbing beeswax or spraying sugar water lemongrass mixture into the boxes to make to bees feel more homey and entice them to stay?

Any suggesstions or advice is much appreciated. I plan on trying to get these guys this evening, it will be my first attempt with a swarm and first experience doing anything with bees! I am prepped with my supplies and equipment and have been doing my best to educate myself on beekeeping over the last year. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I caught a swarm like that 2 years ago. Two clusters, 3 feet apart. I assumed there were 2 queens, but after hiving it ended up only one cluster had a queen. I combined the hives a few days later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts