Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new to beekeeping and new to beesource. I'm hoping to get some feedback from some experienced beekeepers out there...
I have two hives. This coming Monday will be my 5 week anniversary with the bees. I was inspecting both hives yesterday and found two supercedure cells. They were located on the second frame about half way down. The bees had built a larger off shoot of wax cells and hanging at the bottom of these were supercedure cells. They were pointed down and empty. Interestingly, the queen was wandering around them. She had many bees around her. They didn't seem to be touching or tending to her like my other hive. She has layed a lot of eggs and their are many new bees. I was surprised to find her so far to the side of the brood area.
Does this mean they are displeased with her making plans for a new queen? Or is this just a way to be prepared? Should I just monitor the cells to make sure they aren't being used?
I was planning on putting a second hive body on soon.
Thanks for your input...

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
It sounds like queen cell cups, I like to think of it as practice play cups and for being prepared, as you say. Any healthy hive of some strength makes these here and there as you are describing.

Some people remove them when seen and some people don't. I don't myself as they'll just make more anyways. Sometimes I remove them if they stick out aways from the combs as they can scrape the comb next to it, damaging it or other bees, but mostly I leave them be.

It's sounding like you have a healthy hive of some strength so you may want to put on the next brood box soon.

Have fun and good luck for honey this year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response, Ray! It's a relief to know that it's unlikely they are really considering swarming right now. I'll keep an eye on those cells, though. And thanks for the advice about the second hive body. I'm going to get it on tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
New hives rarely swarm the first year, if you have evidence that queen is laying good brood patterns she is doing well. You will be surprised where you see the queen at times, I have found her clinging to my pant leg after a hive examination. I have also found her on the top of the inner cover where they built a small patch of burr comb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts