Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to check my hives today, having had both queens superseded.

The package had no brood, no eggs, nothing. I combined it with a nuc which had eggs and brood in all phases. Never saw the queen, but she must be there.

In my established hive, someone is laying - can't tell if it's the bought queen or the supercedure queen. Pattern is rotten, but there's brood there, so we'll see. Problem is, this hive that was booming so much I was sure it would swarm now fits comfortably into one deep. I took the frames with brood and combined them into one box. Same thing for the frames with stores. I went from having a hive ready to explode to one that's severly set back. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ruben - yup. I was worried about them swarming. Two deeps and bees packed in. Now one deep, lots of bees, but no booming. Who knows, maybe they'll rebound in the smaller space. They'll certainly be able to defend the comb now that there's bees on every frame.

Velbert - yes, I installed them in nucs and let them get started there. Then combined into the main hives. (thanks to someone here for that suggestion - excellent idea).

Chef - I agree. I'm the last one to blame someone else for my problems (and california queens can hardly account for the supercedure of my other hive), but yes, the queen that came with the package was poorly mated. The workers, btw, weighed way more than 3 lbs (if I told you how I know you'd laugh
). There's still time for them to build up, but I had really hoped to have a couple of strong hives to produce some nice blackberry honey. Such is life.

Oh, and I'm ditching the plastic frames. I've had a hell of a time getting them to draw it, and seeing the beautiful comb produced by the starter strips, I think that's where I'm heading. Plastic isn't responsible for supercedure either (I know). Just one less headache.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts