Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have probably 80 honey frames that will be from 1/3 to 1/2 uncapped cells at the bottom of the frames. A shake test does not toss any thing out. The frames have been very much in this stage for several weeks. While I am waiting for my refractometer I am considering the possibility of doing and initial extraction run without uncapping anything hoping to empty the uncapped portion of the frames and store that honey (?) separately, then uncap and extract the balance of what I know will be low moisture honey.

Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
That sounds like an interesting solution, and may work. Be sure and store the thin honey in the refrigerator so it won't ferment. Or you could do what I did:

My Spring extraction proved too thin after I had done 1 of 5 supers. I also had just purchased a refractometer and was dismayed at the reading. So I searched this site for ways to dry honey and then went out and bought a dehumidifier for the other 4 supers to use BEFORE I extracted them. A week of dehumidifying the stack of supers worked like a charm. In fact, I dried them to lower than 17 % and mixed in the thin honey to make the whole batch acceptable.

I love the dehumidifier since it didn't involve heating the honey or blowing a fan across it to drive off water. It worked great and was a worthwhile investment.

Becky

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you found a solution that worked for you. I was starting to worry about running out of time and would not have been happy extracting frames without mostly 75% or more capped. I got the refractometer but was a little hesitant to use the olive oil calibrating method but it checked out with last years honey and early July honey being <18% moisture.

I put frames in the extractor without uncapping and gently spun it. The capped cells hold their contents and the uncapped empty out. If you spin too hard some dry capped cells do empty too. That will work to selectively empty out uncapped cells to keep from diluting the rest of the honey on the frame. It is double handling so not something you would choose to do on a whim.

As I suspected possible, the uncapped honey portion was not thin! What I did that way today was just a bit over 17% moisture. Haven't got around to do a reading on what came from all capped cells. It does appear a bit thicker.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I routinely have lots of frames of uncapped honey that are low moistue. I get repeated dandelion flows off irrigated hayfields. The bees seem to leave cells uncapped waiting for more. If it wont shake out i extract or it turns into a gel that wont come out of the cells. I pulled afew dozen e tracted frames today that still had a couple pounds of honey that wouldnt come out.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I routinely have lots of frames of uncapped honey that are low moistue. I get repeated dandelion flows off irrigated hayfields. The bees seem to leave cells uncapped waiting for more. If it wont shake out i extract or it turns into a gel that wont come out of the cells. I pulled afew dozen e tracted frames today that still had a couple pounds of honey that wouldnt come out.
I think that describes my situation. Some of the uncapped cells appear to have a lower moisture than the capped cells. I did notice a few frames that seemed to have areas reluctant to spin out.

If there had been a recent heavy flow I am sure there would be watery nectar but the shake test should show that, at least if you were a hard shaker! I doubt that I fit that description though.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts