Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a swarm that I caught towards the end of June. Moved it from the trap to a two 8 frame deep with a mix of drawn and foundation.

Was checking it out just now. Pulled a frame and thought, "Boy I'm lucky. There's the queen".

Look again and about 2 inches away is another queen. Watched them both and they walked right up to each other, smell one another then walk around a bunch more.

These weren't virgins but nice fat plump queens. I didn't have my phone handy so I don't have picts, but it was pretty cool. Caught one in a clip. and pulled a few more frames. No swarm cells. Moved the frame that had the queen not in a clip to the upper brood chamber.

Brood pattern looked good, so I put released the caged queen back into the hive and put it all back together.

Thinking I should split. but it's getting later in the season and our one good flow is almost done. I'd like to have one strong hive than two mediocre hives I'll have to nurse. That and I'm out of wooden wear except for a couple of empty nucs.

Wadda ya think? Split or not.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Split out one of the queens with two frames of bees into the nuc and feed both hives. The two queen situation will not last long.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Diametrically opposed answers. I would go with Michael's suggestion as he is closer in lattitude and knows the northern seasons better. Being in Richmond, my experiences and timing are based on a more southernly climate. There is still time here to take two frames of bees and a mated queen to a full five frames or more.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts

Thinking I should split. but it's getting later in the season and our one good flow is almost done. I'd like to have one strong hive than two mediocre hives I'll have to nurse. That and I'm out of wooden wear except for a couple of empty nucs.

Wadda ya think? Split or not.
You don't need to split them 50/50.
Split them 20/80 (or 25/75) - you get the idea.

Use the little one as a helper queen to feed extra brood into the stronger hive AND evaluate which one you like best while at it.
Keeping a small nuc afloat is not that hard or expensive until winter (then combine).
Having a helper (backup) queen is good deal until winter.

Sure the bees will make the choice for you.
It works when you have no time or a single queen does not matter much (say, you have large scale to work).
This is how Mike approaches.

But if have time, why not choose?
Pretty simple to see which queens lays better or you like the bees better or one queen may just fail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts