Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I am a new beekeeper with two hives, one is a top bar and the other is langstroth and are both italian hybrids started with packages in early may

I have been feeding 1:1 syrup with internal feeders inside of both hives. Both appear to be doing well with a lot of capped brood and some hatching now.

They are placed on my property about 150 feet apart. This week especially they seem to be flying back and forth from each others hives and not going anywhere else! I have seen a few pollen foragers but not many on nectar even though we have a lot blooming right now.
Are they just robbing each other's feeder right now? has anyone seen any behaviour like this before?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
they are not swapping honey, one is robbing the other. do a search here on "robbing screens". good luck,mike

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mike thanks.

I have not seen any fighting of dead bees. If they are robbing I think they are sneaking inside to get to the syrup bag. The way the entraces are set up in the top bar robber bees could get in an entrance and be able to get to the sugar bag without going over any comb.

I was thinking to just remove the feeder bag in the top bar for a few days and put the white sheet over the top bar. I could also make a quick screen with the push pins.

what do you guys think?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts