Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a three pound package of bees thinking that I would lose a hive over the winter, which I did.
I had also ordered an additional queen so that I could split a real strong hive that was doing great, but got wiped out last week during an unusual freeze here in TX.
So now I find myself with a 3 pound package of bees and two queens on the way next week.
My question is - With 3 pounds of bees and two queens, could I reaonably expect to start two nucs if I just simply split the bees between the two nucs, or would that be stretching things too thin?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
That is a stretch, but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures.
But first, do you have any other hives, possibly one could be strong enough to split? or pull three frames out of for the extra queen?
Do you have a beek friend you could buy a three frame or 5 frame queenless nuc from, for your extra queen?
Good luck to you!
Steven

·
Registered
519 Posts
You could start 2 nucs, but it would sure help things if you could put at least one frame of brood with each one.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am hoping that my one remaining hive is strong enough to pull a couple of frames from.

·
Registered
760 Posts
being from what it sounds like -- you should have drawn comb? right?

if so then id say sure split the package onto drawn five frame nucs - all drawn - you dont want them doing any drawing as that waste sugar --

but keep the hives as far apart as possible - dont want any robbing
use smallest entrance opening

and FEED FEED FEED -- 1:1 NOT 2:1 - this would be too thick for spring time feeding

also place them in the moring sun - before 9am if possible - you want them to get in a FULL days work

---- now on the other hand
start with a standard install with 3 lbs to a 10 frame box and FEED them like no other and dont stop feeding - force them to the brakeing point and then split - - but the spare queen will have to be bayed somewhere - even with about fifty bees and kept warm -

hope all goes well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts