Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, This is my second year beekeeping and there is always something new to learn. I've learned so much from this forum and everyone is so helpful. I've started feeding my two hives now that the day time temperatures get into the upper 50's. The nights are still cold going down below freezing. I am feeding to stimulate brood production so I could make a split at the end of next month. Hopefully before swarming takes place. I'll keep an eye on that. But here is my question my two hives wintered well over winter. One Carniola and one Italian . The Carniola's are taking the syrup really well but the Italians don't want it. I thought the Italians got off to a faster start in the spring than any other breed. Why aren't they taking it?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I understood that Italians liked storing honey - to the detriment of brood rearing. I would check their available stores (relative to the Carniola's) and watch out for honey-bound or domed hives.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm not surprised they aren't taking the syrup much. It is still quite cold at night and there isn't much blooming. Are you seeing pollen coming in yet?

The Carniolans tend to start working at colder temps than the Italians. You might be seeing that.

Yiou will robably see more activity next month. You are jumping the gun a bit with the syrup IMO.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
sometimes not taking syrup is a sign of nosema. good luck,mike

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've seen the same thing in my hives. Four of them were flying like crazy the last few weeks, bring in pollen and syrup. One hive had maybe two bees on the landing board and none flying. However, a tap on the hive resulted in a nice humming. Finally was warm enough last week I popped the top and saw a group staring at me from the inner cover hole and feeding on syrup. Put the outer cover back on and left them alone. This past weekend, they finally came out with the rest of the hives. I guess they just didn't like the cold. I have a couple of hives that were flying in a light rain in the 50's this past week!!!! It was too cold and wet for me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts