Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

They say start with two hives so you have something to compare. They're right. The longer things go on, the more like night and day my hives become.
Both hives were set up on May 28th.

Hive #1 started with a four pound package of Italian bees. The queen died in her cage and I had to introduce a new queen. This hive is far more active than the other when I open it. The bees fly around, but don't seem to go after me. There is a lot of capped brood, and a lot of drone cells. There is hardly any honey there at all. Should this concern me? I've been feeding sugar syrup, but they don't seem to consume that much. There is still nearly half a gallon after a little more than a week.

Also, I did not see the queen, at least I think not. There was a large-ish bee with a circle of attendants around her. My queen is marked. I thought I could discern the mark on her, but wondered if it was obscured in some way (dirt on her)? This cell has no queen cells and has not produced any, so I think my queen is still there. I had trouble seeing evidence of her laying because of the light, and trying to see through the veil. So, at this point I am wondering if I have a queen, and if they are creating enough of a honey store. I did have to brush away a lot of tiny ants around the syrup bucket.

Hive # 2 started with a three pound package of Italian bees. This hive seems not as active, but far more productive. there is much brood and LOTS of honey on the frames. It looks textbook classic. These bees are still pretty calm, and they don't buzz around when I'm in the hive. They pretty much ignore me. This queen was was evident, the mark still vividly displayed, and much evidence of her handiwork. Last time I looked there were two queen cells in there, but today there is only one, and it's empty.

It seems that Hive # 2 is well, but there may be some possible concern on Hive # 1. Do I have anything to worry about? Am I noticing the right sort of things?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
481 Posts
#2 sounds like it is doing well. Hive #1 had a little setback. You see the capped brood. That is positive. I can never see eggs either, but I look for small larvae telling me the eggs are hatching. My hives are 4 days older than yours and were started from NUcS. I still don't have much honey other than what the nuc came with. I do have some at the top of the brood frames. Sounds yours are fine now, but just building slowly.

Mine took syrup, then went off of it, and now are sucking 1.5-2 quarts per day. Let the bees be bees. They will take it when they get ready to build more comb. Sounds like they can only do so much with the limited worker resources they have right now. Personally, I would not worry if you continue to see young larvae and capped brood. I am sure more experienced beeks will chime in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Normally seeing eggs is not a problem for me. I know I was impressed with all the larvae I saw on my last visit before this one. I agree with leaving them alone. One thing I learned following all the questions about various topics about bees is that bees know what they doing. So, when in doubt, I just leave them alone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts