Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just finished building two very large Jumbo/Dedant horizontal hives. Here where I live Dedant brood chambers are the standard practice and I plan on starting my horizontal hive with a readily available nuc (again Dedant size). Since I am planning on maybe using these horizontal boxes to make splits, get new nucs, let colonies grow strong before moving to boxes etc... I decided to stick with the Jumbo frame dimensions.

The boxes I built are about 42 in long. Given their length and specially their very large volume I was wondering if I could use one box to house two different colonies by using a tight, strong follower board between the two. As of now the entrances are on the two opposite sides of the box so the entrances wouldn't be that close to each other or even heading on the same direction.

I am just dubious that maybe although the follower board separation might be enough to physically separate the hives their pheromones, vibrations etc... will get them both messed up.

Do you think this could work? Have you heard of or tried anything like this before?

Thanks,

Valentin

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Hello, ...
I am just dubious that maybe although the follower board separation might be enough to physically separate the hives their pheromones, vibrations etc... will get them both messed up.

Do you think this could work? Have you heard of or tried anything like this before?

Thanks,

Valentin
Why, this is a very common place.
Lots of people do it routinely.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Valentin, welcome to BeeSource. It would make it easier to give advise if you put your location into your profile so we know what climate and other conditions you are dealing with in regard to bees.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hello Valentin - you mention Dadant frame dimensions and yet have posted in the Top Bar sub-forum. If it should be that you're planning to run a Top Bar Hive with a Dadant depth, then you'll undoubtedly need to find some way of supporting those combs.

I run several hives with Dadant-sized foundationless frames and find them to be pretty-much ideal for this location and my particular style of beekeeping. Most of these boxes are 29"-32" long (depending on what timber was available at the time they were made), and all are run 'single colony'. I did once run a 48" box (KTBH converted to 'Tanzanian' format but housing Extra-Deep Frames) which was permanently divided to take two colonies. That hive proved very successful until last winter when I had a first-year queen in one section, with an old queen (my very best queen ever) in the other section. Sometime during the winter most of the old queen's colony absconded across to join the younger queen - can't say I blame them - but this sort of thing can occur with divided boxes. I've seen this happen many times with divided mating nucs, but never before with established colonies. "Live and Learn".

As I also found 48" too long for easy solo-handling (moving it into the workshop for maintenance) that box was cut it in half, with the two resulting 24" boxes still retaining a fair-sized volume.

I still have a few Long Hives with a 9" depth, but as these eventually come into the workshop for some maintenance, I'll be extending their depth to 12". In order to facilitate easy-ish interchange of two different frame depths, I've come up with the following 'fix' :

Not perfect, but it'll do until I can think of something better.
'best
LJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just finished building two very large Jumbo/Dedant horizontal hives. Here where I live Dedant brood chambers are the standard practice and I plan on starting my horizontal hive with a readily available nuc (again Dedant size).

The boxes I built are about 42 in long. Given their length and specially their very large volume I was wondering if I could use one box to house two different colonies by using a tight, strong follower board between the two. As of now the entrances are on the two opposite sides of the box so the entrances wouldn't be that close to each other or even heading on the same direction.
Didn't have them when I started the thread but here are the pictures of the hive I built.

IMG_1425.jpg IMG_1447.jpg

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts