Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I'm a new beekeeper from NJ.
In the middle of the June I bought two nucs with NJ grown honey bees. Most interesting was that each nuc had two different races of the bees. I was told that it is OK because queen was mated with Italian and Carniolan drones. Also I was told to place super with frames over brood chamber immediately and feed them for the first two weeks at least.
So, I did it. I placed them into 10 frame deep bodies hives with wax foundation frames plus super over brood chamber, plus empty super for jar with sugar syrup. I put some medication against mites. In general bees looked healthy.
I fed them all summer long because they did not build combs over wax foundations.
It's November, bees collected some honey in brood box, built some combs in the middle of the super, but they did not fill it with honey.
Looks like two different races inside one colony just do not cooperate with each other.
Does anybody have colonies like I described?
Thanks, Yelena.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You do not have 2 different races of bees in one colony. All the bees are the daughters of the queen and the difference in the looks of the bees is because they have different drone fathers. All of them are mixes of different genetics. Bees in a hive know how to work together, even if they come from completely different parents. I have combined Italian hives with Carniolan hives numerous times and they work together just fine. Some years the bees just do not build wax and store honey as quickly as we would like. It was that way for me this year too.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
If you looked at my bees a while ago it could certainly looked like two different breeds. The small ones and then the larger ones with the big eyes and fat butts. The meaner small ones were hassling the larger ones and were forcing them out to sleep in the cold. Not playing well together at all! Workers and drones would not be nearly as interesting an explanation.;)

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,251 Posts
Workers and drones would not be nearly as interesting an explanation.;)
I hope that OYFarm understands the humor of your comment. I am afraid that by now all my fat bodied, big-eyed bees are dead. Nothing left but the smaller and fiercer little bees. Maybe in the spring I'll get some more.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Did they ever have any capped brood in the brood chamber(bottom box)?

It is very odd they didn't drawn any comb despite being fed all year.

I would see if I could find a Queen or single eggs in cells. You might have been feeding robber bees all year.
Open your hives, take out some frames, then tell us what you found. Pictures would be a big help.

Good luck,
Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts