Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not found anything here on 12 volt bee vacs. Has anyone built one? What power unit seems to be best? Should be able to use a conventional inlet/outlet box, I would think.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would think a vacuum would run down a battery pretty quick. I bought an inverter to hook to my truck battery to run my vac. I have not used it yet but I figure I will need to leave the motor running on my truck if I want to leave a cut out under power.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would expect it would require idling the motor while working. I have a diesel with two large batteries, so that might help.

Do you turn the vac on and off as you use it, or is it usually just allowed to run? I am thinking of building one and am not sure that ac would always be available.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I have used my inverter a lot and love it but it has it challenges. The biggest one is chewing up battery's. I have a 3000 watt one. Tools that I run on it are saws, vac, battery chargers. I to have a Diesel with dual batteries. For a couple of minutes of run time I don't idle the truck after that it idles.
David

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Fan-tastic Vent in my van. I've thought of using basic models of the thing to build other things like air purifiers or evaporative coolers. The motor is very efficient with 12 volts. I could picture building the fan into a box or into a lid for a hive body that could work as a bee vac.

eb

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
"What power unit seems to be best?"
We leave the bee vac running for ventilation. Bees will overheat quickly in a bee vac on hot days. We tried to run an AC vac with a fairly stout inverter and it would not work. We ended up using a generator. Using a 12V motor may allow a more efficient system that can run off a vehicle's 12V system, but I doubt it. I believe the 12V system will be underpowered for the bees and overpowered for the alternator. But I hope you make it work. Cheers.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys, great info. Guess I will plan on using my Honda 2000 gen. I know it works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts