Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Twas the day before Christmas, and what should I do?
Why, open up a hive, to do a mountaincamp or two!
The smoker I did light,
To prepare for any fight.
I was about to make such a clatter,
Just to see if anything was the matter.
The weather was nice, mid 50's and sunny,
I checked their comb, still plenty of honey.
I didn't know what to expect when I opened up their house,
But not a problem did I find, not even a mouse.
On went the paper, the sugar on top of that,
Now those bees are going to get fat.
Seeing these bees healthy was an early present for me,
but now it's time, to go see what's under my tree.
As I was replacing the lid, I tilted my head just right,
to hear the queen as she said, Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good flight!

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
That's great. Good job! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. It was more than just a poem actually... it sums up what I did today too. The weather was nice today and I was a little concerned about moisture so I went in and did the mountaincamp thing for moisture control. Was very pleased with their condition, though I'm not sure what's normal for other beeks in my region. But they still have 9 full deep frames of honey, the cluster size fills up about 4 frame spaces (not sure how far down the frames they go, I didn't want to open up the cluster to find out) and everything looks good as far as I can tell. Put 10 lbs. of sugar on the mountaincampand closed it all back up again and now I'm not going to mess with them again until spring.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Sounds like they are doing good. What does a deep frame of honey weigh? 6 lbs I think. So they have 54lbs. Not sure for your area but I think that is enough weight. Watch them in late winter early spring. That is when they will need it the most and will starve. Moisture control is always good.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They may have a couple more frames in the box below the one they are in, I know they had drawn comb in that box in October, but I havn't opened up that box since then so I don't know if they ever got around to filling it.

But they've only gone through one frame of honey in the top box since they started clustering and that was about 3 weeks ago, so now with the added mountaincamp I'm positive they'll be fine until I start messing with them again in early March.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Thanks for the poem! :thumbsup:
And a very, Merry Christmas to all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts