Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to turn my hives 90 degrees to the right. What all precautions do I need to take for that?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Turn them at night after everybody is in, then put a leafy branch in front of the hive so that they have to go around when they exit and they will reorientate...

or turn them early they'll be alot of confusion for a while, but they will eventually figure it out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm not an expert, but i don;t see a simple turn being too big of a deal. Last year I spent some time relocating a nuc a few feet at a time and they seemd okay with a move of about 3' without obvious confusion. In your place, I'd jsut mvoe them at night and place an obstruction in front of the entrance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It depends on how many hives you have and how they are arranged. If I were to turn my five hives individually 90 degrees, the front of one would face the back of the other in a line. If say they were all on a long board and you wanted to rotate the board like the hand of a clock from 12 to 3, then the one on the end away from the pivot point could be moved a considerable distance. That done all at once will cause confusion and can cause massive drift IMO even with branches, grass, twigs. Been there, done that. I move mine slowly, about a foot every time I go out, even if it's not far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts