Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.......
My Wife and I just finished our first go round of slinging Tupelo Honey. Our girls did a great job, considering how ill prepared we were. Coming back from a bear attack ain't all it's cracked up to BEE !! :D

We got just about 240 lbs from our 11 recovering hives. We were well pleased.

Next......... we have decided that our 4 frame basket extractor just ain't gonna cut it anymore.
I want a direct drive 20 frame radial. I would like recommendations from you all who have experience with the various brands, please.

Also, our bread knife is going to be retired and replaced with an electric. Reccomendations appreciated.

As you may guess, we are expanding into perhaps the "sideliner" arena. We plan to expand to maybe 50 hives by next year, so we are going to upgrade a lot of our equipment.

Sharkey

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
There is a bunch of used equipment available in Fla. There is a newsletter that lists it. If I can think of it in the next day or so I'll let you know.

Bigger is Better ;)

·
Banned
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bruce,

Yes Sir, there is a pretty good publication, actually put out by the state. You can see it here:
http://www.florida-agriculture.com/index.htm

I bet that is the one you are thinking of.

btw.......... I forgot to mention that our bees had to pull all that from foundation. ;) That bear set us back a ways.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
>Next......... we have decided that our 4 frame basket extractor just ain't gonna cut it anymore.
I want a direct drive 20 frame radial.

Has that ever happened to ANYONE before? Starting out with a small extractor only to go to a bigger one? ;)

>Also, our bread knife is going to be retired and replaced with an electric.

Oh, no. Sounds like someone has been stung by the bug...

>We plan to expand to maybe 50 hives by next year

Yeup, it's official.

Congrats!!

When is Consumer Reports going to answer our pleas to do some beekeeping research (uncappers, extractors, hive tools, fumes/brush/ bee escape, best queen breeds, small cell vs large cell, etc...)
Waya

[ May 14, 2006, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: wayacoyote ]

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
I sure like my ol' Woodman 30/60 radials. Paid $50 for one and the other was free. Have had to put about $100 into both, but they run well and do an great job.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never heard of Woodman before, and googls turned up nada. However, the classifieds in the Florida Ag has a couple for sale.

How can I get more info ? :cool:

[ May 14, 2006, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Sharkey ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts