Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am taking my OB hive to the school for career day. Needless to say, have taken VERY care to make sure none escape and cause issues like double caulking the plexi, double screening the vent holes inside and outside and making sure there are no crannies for them to get through. I am wondering though, the career day is Wednesday morning and the low is supposed to be 30 with the high in the 50's. The day before, its supposed to be in the 50's. Would it be better to go ahead and pull 3 frames Tuesday late afternoon while everyone is active and then stash them in the garage overnight(stays about 50 all the time) for the early trip to the school? I am sure its not the smartest thing to do to break the cluster wednesday morning. Will they be ok overnight in the OB hive? I did not add the feeder because i didnt want the kids messing with it and possible breaking it. thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
perhaps take just one frame of bees from the outside of the cluster. i cant speak to your weather there but to assymble an ob hive here and then but them back in a brood box would likely be fatal at this time of year. perhaps a small mater to you,however. most small kids cant see the difference in the short time alloted for a talk, anyway. good for you to go to this much trouble!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mike, we average a very warm 50 right now, meaning in the sun, it's much much warmer. I just checked on my gals and they have a ton of new bees orienting. I surely wouldn't want it to be fatal to my one and only hive thus far! I actually am getting 6- 1/2 hour classes to teach on the 10th. Pretty stoked about it actually.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
if i had only one hive i would definitely take only one frame from the outside. there are people here with slides and people with polished talks if you care to use the search function. now shut up about your weather-i'm looking at snow outside my window:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts