Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had one very weak hive make it through the winter. They are still going and have a good queen , but numbers were so down they are still struggling. Bought two packages this spring as my final attemp at this game. Pretty sure both came with drone laying queens. Positive on the first. All capped drone, with great pattern and one egg per cell. Second one doesn't have any capped brood yet and has a great pattern but I can see them building up all the cells with older larva. Not looking good. My only thoughts are to find queen in first. Pinch her. Combine with weak hive with good queen. Any advice on the proper way to do that would be appreciated. Second hive, wait and make sure all brood is drone. If so pinch her and try to find a local queen to introduce. Definately not enough eggs in weak hive to give to one of the new packages. Help?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
You might consider moving an outer brood frame with only a small amount of brood into one of your packages. If you problem is only lack of bees the combine will cure that and they will not miss the outer frame. If it is a bigger problem you have a head start on q rearing.
I would also think about only half a combine and put a frame in the half remaining after the split.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts