Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Beesource bee people,

I'm new to bee keeping this year, so my questions are not dumb, I'm just ignorant and don't want to live an learn every single thing! LOL...

I got a little bit-o-honey that I just took off my first hive.

My reading and realization is that I can never have enough drawn comb.

My experience thus far has been that in an weaker nuc hive, like the one I started with, they only would draw comb quickly in the brood box, namely, between existing frames full of brood.

So, knowing that I would need drawn frames for good honey production once they were strong enough, what I did was put a single med Frame in my DEEP brood box, between full deep frames.

While feeding 1:1, the little girls drew out nearly full wax in 1.5 days! WOW!

Now, I if I let them go over 2 days, I got some eggs in the cells, but not tons and I puilled them.

The tricker part was I stopped feeding them, and then the wax draw fell in a linear fashion, I had to learn that the hard way.

So, my loss was maybe a dozen eggs or so (and I often had Queeny on the new frame) to try to get some drawn comb ready for honey. I only did this 4 times, with a single med each time as I did not want to disturb them to much.

My question is what method do you all use to get lots of drawn comb?

Are you just patient and let them start to draw and fill honey supers and then just keep the drawn comb or do you use other methods?

Is there a LATERAL QUEEN EXCLUDER I could use to keep her on one side of the hive while I have them work the quick wax between brood fromes on the other?

My goal is to have several HS's full of drawn comb by next spring so they can "fill er up" with less work!

Also, is there truth to the 9 frames in 10 frame HS will get same or more honey than 10?

Do I need frame spacers to do this right?

Thanks,

MP

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You just need patience. You need to keep your young hive as strong as possible this first year to give them a good chance to make it to next spring. You will find that a strong second year hive on a flow will draw wax very quickly. With much less work on your part, with your smaller hive with no honey flow.

A strong hive can draw and fill a medium box of foundation in 1-2 weeks. You will be fighting to get a few frames made this year. Let you bees be bees and get their home in order for winter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A 1-2 week draw is fast, what brood box setup are u referring to? Single deep, double deep, double medium?

Thanks,

·
Registered
792 Posts
In may SARE project hives I have several packages installed in Maine on April 15 that have now drawn two deeps plus are now working on their third medium super (a couple more are working on their second super).

I fed the bees 1-1 sugar syrup constantly from installation while building out the brood frames,adding the second box when the bees had built 8 of 10 frames and continuing to feed. When the bees had built 8 of 10 in the second box I stopped feeding and added the first medium super.

building colonies are all about numbers and disease-free.
If the bees are strong and you feed them consistently when they need it, they'll build up just fine.

Best,
-E.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
A 1-2 week draw is fast, what brood box setup are u referring to? Single deep, double deep, double medium?

Thanks,
Two deeps or three mediums full of bees with a good flow can do it. You will find all of the frames being drawn at the same time.

A big swarm can do even better. I posted on here somewhere a couple of weeks ago about a big swarm that drew 19 deep frames of plastic/duragilt frames (I gave them one frame of brood) in less than two weeks.

You can get frames drawn with feeding but I have never found them to draw comb near as fast as when they are on a flow. I never have fed bees that much though so I could be wrong about that. I normally only feed in late September/October and February/March when they are not normally in a comb building mood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts