Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So normally I've done a deep with excluder and then supers...

Now I've got 2 deeps, excluder, and then supers...

bees are filling out both deeps before our flow begins... I'm using a deep division board feeder in the top deep.. which does mean I have to take off supers every time I feed...

but since the 2 boxes are being filled and before the flow starts...

I was wondering if I should put the queen back in the bottom box, put on an excluder, and use the 2nd deep for winter food? I'll quit feeding when I see them starting to work the supers, but I really wanted to get enough food in them to not have to feed overwinter..

The original intention of the second deep was to get the bees to fill it with brood and food and make splits, but im kinda out of woodenware...got enough to maybe make 35 hives total with 2 deeps and maybe 3 supers each... currently at 31 and have some splits to make next week...

im out of woodenware cause im cutting myself off from buying more...lol... spent too much $ on the ones I have.. If these are successful ill use some of the honey sales to buy more woodenware, but not till next spring... HOPEFULLY the price of lumber will go down...

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,456 Posts
so 2 things

if you just leave it ,, the second deep will be used for winter food, the excluder will prevent the bees from using part of it for brood. so it is then a syrup super.
Do you really need to feed now? IF your super is "on" then the feed may be going into the super.

IMO you are over thinking it. if you keep feeding ,the top deep will be filled with syrup , and may create a honey dome and assist in swarming.

you local may differ but here when the dandelions bloom the need for feed is over till September.

if they are building foundation and you want to split then I guess keep feeding until you split.

determine what you really want then proceed accordingly. I feed only on an emergency basis so it seems if you have 1 deep build the need is over.

GG

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im keeping supers on cause I have no place to store them...

I check bees weekly... and if I see any supers with any liquid on them I remove the super and leave it out in front of the hives for the others to consume... and then I quit feeding that hive...

we're in texas.. we had the blizzard in febuary and we lost about 50% of our bees in each hive... and I was trying a weird feeding system I made up on my own to see if it would work and over winter with, but it didnt work and they do not have a decent amount of stores... switched to frame feeders and they work great, but I had hives that were starving a month ago...

so we're good on that,.. just curious if how to stack the boxes ... loll...

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
If they are filling the top box with the syrup instead of using it, then it's a good sign you don't need to be feeding. I say stop feeding.

You could combine the colony down to one box and do what you've been doing. Considering your area you don't need to be running double deeps but may have planned a little far ahead for splits if you don't have the equipment for it.

Once you're down to one box you could run the excluder and your usual supers. Mediums I'm guessing? Are they drawn out?

Then for the second box now full of syrup. You could use that for a split if you have an extra top/bottom? Or leave it out for the bees to rob out then don't have to worry about it.

Lot of options, really just depends on your resources and end goals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts