Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They've been coming to my blooming veronica for days now...I took these photos in my garden this morning.
Bombus ternarius (thanks OldBee, for the species ID...hey, that rhymes!). I've never seen these before here until now. I've seen them a couple at a time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I saw these in my yard for the first time this year, my first thought was that I had accidentally hit a bumbler with some fluorescent marking paint. They have a brilliant orange stripe that doesn't look natural, kind of like seeing a Scarlet Tanager for the first time, too bright to be real! Thanks for the pictures and the ID, I was wondering what they were.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Strange that so many of us are seeing these for the first time this year. I have seen some that were large, even for a bumbble, and some that were almost honeybee size.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw these in my yard for the first time this year,...Thanks for the pictures and the ID, I was wondering what they were.
FF,
I was reading about the range of this species, and it said they are northern and seldom go south of PA (where you are). I had never seen them here before either, even since when I was a kid here. Maybe they are extending their range further south?....but why?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Why, Global Warming is forcing them south to find cold weather.:D

Johnny

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"(thanks OldBee, for the species ID..."

You're welcome--no problem. It was too easy for that one. I didn't know the species until I went to BugGuide and used the search option. I used the words "orange bumble bee". That word search works pretty good. It can't always narrow an insect down but gets close to what one might be looking for in the images. I have not seen the Tri-color around here. There are similar species in the Western US. like Bombus melanopygus. [The :rolleyes: smiley in my original post was because the BugG. photo was so similar to yours].

1 - 9 of 9 Posts