Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ,my name is matt
I have 2 trees with bees in them and would like to use them to start beekeeping.One of the trees is twisted and will fall this year or the next,the 2nd tree is a split from the first 1.there have been 3 or 4 split from this hive
and looks like it maybe a good 1.
The next hive is in our house well over 100 years old.Dad said that the bees
were there when he moved in 1958.The house is made of brick and is 3 brick thick with a 1/2 brick dead air space.Dad said the the hive will some times bleed through the walls.
how would you go about getting them out?

·
Registered
101 Posts
as far as the ones in the house sounds like it's time for a trapout. do a search here for trapout and you'll get a good idea what is involved. it takes a while but leaves the house essentially intact unless you want to tear into the colony from inside the house.
the ones in the tree could also be done via a trapout but if left in place could be a great source for swarms to build up your hive count as well since they are obviously survivors.

i am sure others here will have other ideas as well

beebiker

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Welcome to the site Matt. I'd say Beebiker is dead on with idea for a trap out from the house. The repairs on something that old end up looking like, well, repairs. As for the tree it appears it's about to go down? If so you could wait for swarms, or you could get them before the tree falls on it's own. Rarely do they fall on your terms. Only you know what the tree looks like, and what you're comfortable with and when.

I'd say the ball is in your court on how you want to proceed but definately read (here and elsewhere) and watch up (Youtube) before you get into the respective techniques. They are not actions that a newbee normally starts with but that doesn't mean it can't be done. It's a little like skydiving though, on the job training rarely goes well with either pursuits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all
I just today am able to post a reply.
the bees at the brick house started to make a cone on a window sill but they
all look dead to me almost no movement at all ,could be heat or hard rain but not sure.
the bees in the trees are doing fine and the trees I think may stand for 1 to 3 years.I will try a trap and wait and see what happens.
again thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts