Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a guy emailed me said he had bees in a tree that he wanted removed. thats all I know right now

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
it depends on the situation, more than one way to do it
you need to go check it out and see what the deal is
in any case you'd want to wait another month or two to do it
you need more info, take pics and post them if you can
make sure they're honeybees

Dave

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
definitely gonna wait for warmer weather. consistent lows of mid 50's right? gonna see if I can come survey the situation and take some pics

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Cut the tree down. Cut open the portion of the tree with the colony in it. Either use a chainsaw or wedges to split the tree.

Use a knife to cut out combs, and rubberband/tie those combs into wooden frames. Put those frames in a hive body.

Once you get the queen into the hive body, the bees will follow her. I usually try to wait until nightfall for all the bees to get into the hive body before I move the hive.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I did it once and it wasn't worth my time. In the time I spend doing it I could of bought a nuc or package. If he is paying you that is a different story.
Kingfisher

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Two of the strongest colonies I have were removed from logs. I have one of those colonies in my yard here at the house. They were flying today and taking cleansing flights - we have 2 feet of snow on the ground, and about 37 degrees. Only 1 other hive was even thinking of flying.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Had some calls about bees in a tree. Asked them high up in the tree. Many times it was 25 or 30 feet. Sometimes higher. I tell them to leave the bees alone.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I did it once and it wasn't worth my time. In the time I spend doing it I could of bought a nuc or package. If he is paying you that is a different story.
Kingfisher
Perspective is important here.

It's really worthwhile trying to preserve the genetics of successful, unmanaged bees.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I did a trap out on a tree, and it was not worth my time. Not even close. If you do it, make sure that there is no doubt that the colony is large.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
guy finally called me. the hive is exposed on a limb. said the tree has fallen now. he thought the bees were dead and was gonna take the honey. but it is still full of bees though. said they were honey bees. said the comb was exposed. should I go get them? or still wait? it is raining here today

1 - 13 of 13 Posts