Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Cut the tree down. Cut open the portion of the tree with the colony in it. Either use a chainsaw or wedges to split the tree.

Use a knife to cut out combs, and rubberband/tie those combs into wooden frames. Put those frames in a hive body.

Once you get the queen into the hive body, the bees will follow her. I usually try to wait until nightfall for all the bees to get into the hive body before I move the hive.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Two of the strongest colonies I have were removed from logs. I have one of those colonies in my yard here at the house. They were flying today and taking cleansing flights - we have 2 feet of snow on the ground, and about 37 degrees. Only 1 other hive was even thinking of flying.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
guy finally called me. the hive is exposed on a limb. said the tree has fallen now. he thought the bees were dead and was gonna take the honey. but it is still full of bees though. said they were honey bees. said the comb was exposed. should I go get them? or still wait? it is raining here today

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.