Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guy finally called me. the hive is exposed on a limb. said the tree has fallen now. he thought the bees were dead and was gonna take the honey. but it is still full of bees though. said they were honey bees. said the comb was exposed. should I go get them? or still wait? it is raining here today

·
Registered
730 Posts
I guess the advice is a little late now as it has rained all day in NC, but the first thing is to prevent them from becoming wet. Use cardboard, or plywood and make some sort of shelter around the exposed comb and enterance.

I would plan to hive them in your woodware Tuesday, as it looks to be the driest and warmest day of the week. Take your time. There is nothing to gain by rushing through a cut out such as this.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only rained this morning here. goin tomorrow after work to check it out. if they are still there I will try to salvage them. had to work late tonight:(. thanks for the advice and reply

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got them

went this afternoon to get them. the tree was on the ground and so was the comb. some kind of critter had started to get into it. was not sure if there was any life till I picked up the limb and seen them lookin at me:D put what comb I thought was good in frames. most of it was one big piece of solid (heavy)comb with tunnels through it(lots of honey left in it). I broke off the hard empty comb and wet damaged comb on the outside till it would fit in my hive with the few frames I had filled. let it sit till bout dark. closed off the entrance and brought it home. did I do right? what should my next step be?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
sounds like you did the best you could
wait and see if you got the queen, in a few weeks when we get a warm spell look for brood. you said they had plenty of honey but keep an eye that they don't run out. a sheet of newspaper with dry sugar on the topbars would be nice insurance. did you see any brood in the combs?

good luck, keep us informed
Dave

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got as much brood comb as I could find that wasn't ruined. do I just lay newspaper on top and put dry sugar on it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also have a board that covers the hive with a hole in the center of it? I do not know what it is for?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
here's a crappy video of me feeding my bees dry sugar

http://www.youtube.com/user/ms132872#p/u/9/jZYtGNa6S6c

it shows enough you can tell what I'm talking about

the board with the hole is called the inner cover
lot's of folks wonder what it's for:)
some say to keep the bees from gluing the top cover down
great, they glue the inner cover down:doh:
some say it's so you can peak in and see em without opening them all the way
I think it's an extra piece of stuff they can sell you
you have one, may as well use it
flip it so the board is up and it leaves a little extra space above the hive(under the inner cover), this will give you room for a 1/4 inch layer of sugar
if you notice, in that video I didn't use an inner cover (I'm cheap), I had a homemade spacer to leave room to put the sugar
I take that out in the summer

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts