Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd rather have more hives than people. I'm working on 2 hives and there's 20 houses here. Not sure of the actual head count.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd rather have more hives than people. I'm working on 2 hives and there's 20 houses here. Not sure of the actual head count.
lol, when they turn into our town I have over 100 hives here , and at times working with them and they think I am crazy, I had one the other day all most hit the sign outside my place because they were stretching their necks to see if I would get stung I guess. I can work my hives without veils . but I have no jw's ring the door bell:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bakewell, Tennessee and Evensville, Tennessee.
10 hives and 4 nucs.
I have treated just one hive in 14 years.
That does not mean I do not sometimes loose a hive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I have 4 hives at 2 locations in the city. 2 swarms, 1 previously treated hive ( I ceased all treatments after I got it), and 1 hive with a beeweaver queen.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Welcome to beesource and the treatment free portion jvoitier. It sounds like you have a good start.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm afraid that I'm still finding my way around the forum, and have just discovered this thread. oops

Started messing with bees in the 70's, was an off and on Bee Haver for nearly 30 years.

Been a TF BeeKEEPer since 2007. Foundationless, TF, all Mediums.

Been a Fan of MB (and many others) since finding his site several years ago.

We currently have 9 QR colonies that 'should' go into Winter this year. Last year we lost one of 5. We make simple 'early Spring' splits with our strong survivors, and allow them to raise their own queens with good success....so far.

We are very interested in so-called 'Darwinian' beekeeping methods and tried some experiments this season, mainly keeping a few of them confined in smaller broodnests using an excluder, allowing them to swarm (we caught 2), and not worry too much about honey.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm afraid that I'm still finding my way around the forum, and have just discovered this thread. oops

Started messing with bees in the 70's, was an off and on Bee Haver for nearly 30 years.

Been a TF BeeKEEPer since 2007. Foundationless, TF, all Mediums.

Been a Fan of MB (and many others) since finding his site several years ago.

We currently have 9 QR colonies that 'should' go into Winter this year. Last year we lost one of 5. We make simple 'early Spring' splits with our strong survivors, and allow them to raise their own queens with good success....so far.

We are very interested in so-called 'Darwinian' beekeeping methods and tried some experiments this season, mainly keeping a few of them confined in smaller broodnests using an excluder, allowing them to swarm (we caught 2), and not worry too much about honey.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
After reading the forum for years, I figured I will join too just so to prop up the TF sub-forum representation.
I can not afford to own a farm, but I surely afford to keep bees for nearly-free and be TF while at it.
Heck, why not. :)

(Chasing swarms; building own hives; running horizontal Ukranian deep system)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Can I be on this list if two of my hives are TF and I plan on grafting off those queens? Want to establish a couple TF yards with their daughters.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Yah.. :)
Invested some time on Solomon Parker's TF forum but largely retired from it now.
I got some postings and pics still hanging there...
Here is this morning's picture, for those of you down South.
TemperatureReport20171227.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome to all new comers. Sorry it's been awhile since I've been on this forum so their are more than one of you. I'm a Micheal Bush TF lazy beekeeper fan. So Greg glad your here. I only wanted to start raising bee's because of the feral bee's in a tree in my yard. They lived TF why can't others I raise from their swarms???? and if every where there are feral hives (lasting years) TF why can't more.???

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Treatment free or journey to treatment free group in central europe.

Interested treaters welcome. Attackers and trolls please keep away. Civilized posting required.

Exchanging of queens, queen cells or nucs with health certificate may be possible in future. Pressing of foundations of own wax in small cell 4.9 offered without costs except shipping costs.

www.VivaBiene.de

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm treatment free with two surviving hives. Both from trapped swarms. I'm about 20 miles west of Richmond, VA.

One hive is headed by daughter queen of a swarm from a managed hive.
The other (I suspect) is a feral swarm acquired in West Virginia.
My wife says Mountaineers are always free - including the bees.

This is the end of my third year keeping bees.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
this sounds like a promising development sibylle, way to go!
Yes :) I forgot: artificial insemination of virgins with tf drones of a "local carniolan-buckfast mutt line", survivors, may be possible too.
I hope my new acquaintance will do this for us with this "line" or do insemination at our own places with our drones.
tf diversity of survivor genetics is a good thing with 2 years survivors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been keeping bees TF with the exception of one hive two years ago since 2014. I am in a rural arwa outside Pensacola, Fl. I started with a nuc and was told I had to treat for Mites. So, I treated and the bees died. In the spring of 2014 a swarm from who knows where moved into my empty hive. From splitting that swarm and setting swarm traps in my yard, I currently have 15 colonies. And, I have given away 9 nucs to friends. My area does not have a lot of agriculture and is about 1 mile from a large river swamp. I think this helps with being treatment free.

161 - 180 of 190 Posts