Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Entering my fifth year just west of Tulsa, Oklahoma with no mite treatments. Six hives, local mutts, some Bweaver genetics, and I will be adding a Sam Comfort/anarchy queen to the mix this spring. Transition to foundationless is almost complete. Treatment free is a steep learning curve, but things have stabilized a bit and I'm still learning from the bees every day.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I put in 3 BeeWeaver Queens last July. They built up really strong last Fall. They looked good when checked end of Jan. They're in a separate Apiary and I'm thinking of keeping that Apiary Treatment Free. Anybody else had good luck with their bees?
Jerry

·
Registered
275 Posts
Forgot to add local conditions, 40F Bees have been doing 1st cleansing flights. Supposed to be 45F to 50F next weekend. Will be doing strength checks and feed needs then. 22 of 23 were ok mid Jan. Building Nuc boxes and looking forward to Spring.
Jerry

·
Registered
202 Posts
Prospect, VA
I've been catching swarms from an overwintering bee tree near my house and I bought one pure Russian colony a few years ago. TF so far. I bought a OA dribble kit that I never opened. Three long langs in my yard and one standard Lang in an out yard. This years project is learning to raise queens, but I still enjoy catching swarms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm excited about this listing. I'd be even more excited if I could find TF beekeepers near me :D

However, I know I'll learn lots from you. Thank you all for sharing your experience and knowledge.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Have learned a lot these first 3 years. Lost 5 of my 8 hives. Not going to be swayed from my TF production though. I've been studying Kirk Webster, Michael Bush, Michael Palmer,and Larry Connor this winter.
Will be using deadouts and frames of honey to make increases this Spring. Have been building Nucs all winter.
I'm looking forward to Spring.

10 hives, 3 years, TF for 3 years and going to stay that way. Have 10 Queens from 3 different TF apiaries ordered. Going to mix my genetics up and do a better job of winter preparations.

Have a great season!
March 2017- Have started using organic compounds for treating mites. Treated last Fall. Have 18 of 23 still going. Going to treat when needed. Also going to use brood breaks this year. Have a good season!

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
thanks for the update swarmhunter. are you treating individual colonies when needed and allowing other colonies to remain untreated based on some monitoring method such as mite count?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Joining from northern IL. One hive untreated since last year. I have a dozen or so swarm traps out and about, so hope to expand.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Brand new in SW Missouri. Planning on being TF. Any advice or a relatively close supplier of TF bees in case I screw this up is more than welcome.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I put in 3 BeeWeaver Queens last July. They built up really strong last Fall. Anybody else had good luck with their bees? Jerry
I have, one of my oldest consecutively living hives (6 years) is headed by an offspring of one their original ladies:) Treatment free or Bust:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
In Centralia OK. NW of Vinita.
Starting with feral swarms that have overwintered and survived without treatment or my help so far and I intend to keep them TF.

And Dennis I think your town is bigger than mine and I want to move outta town.

·
Registered
115 Posts
In Centralia OK. NW of Vinita.
Starting with feral swarms that have overwintered and survived without treatment or my help so far and I intend to keep them TF.

And Dennis I think your town is bigger than mine and I want to move outta town.
my town has around 100 people in it, and that's too many:)
when folks drive into town and see 100 hives on the edge of town, well they think I am crazy.

141 - 160 of 190 Posts