Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a program to raise funds for breast cancer research by selling our honey and other honey. Bee keepers have been very generous and sold us honey at wholesale . I also use my own honey.I am looking for bee keepers who have treatment free honey for sale in the event someone has some information. A number of folks have asked for treatment free honey given their health situations.
Thanks

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
"given their health situations." What does that mean?
Mark, why do you go there?

woodedareas, I would try your local Craigslist because you want local honey. Shipping is only going to add a lot of cost.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How very insensitive. Try Breast Cancer. I am the President of a company and as part of our charitable efforts we have decided to make and sell bees wax candles and have done so for the past year and sell my honey and others to raise funds for breast cancer research and care of patients. I devote about 3 hours a day to this effort. Hope you are able to understand and if not visit an oncology department in a local hospital and they can fill you in.
"given their health situations." What does that mean?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I am sorry for appearing insensitive. I was confused about the relationship between honey and breast cancer.

If the concern is that honey from treated hives carries risks to health more so than honey from nontreated hives then maybe that is the explanation not stated. If you think that honey from hives which are not treated in someway for pests or diseases is 100% free of pesticides then you are fooling yourself and potentially others. Because it isn't true.

I commend you for your efforts to support breast cancer research. I am sorry if I appeared insensitive to those who deal w/ breast cancer, they and their families. That was not my intention at all. Deeper understanding was what I was after.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
We've had more than one customer with corn allergies have problems with 'pure' honey from some of the larger suppliers.
Keeping feed out of honey is easy...all it takes is to add food coloring to your feed....but in general, what I see (and hear) is beekeepers repeating over and over that the feed doesn't get into the honey, even though it does...one local commercial beekeeper replied with 'that sounds about right' when told that his honey tested about 5% beet or corn sugar....some we tested showed up to 30% beet sugar ($11/lb with a label from an 'organic farm').

Our state association president chastised me for having any off the shelf honey tested on my own and sharing the results (without naming names) at a meeting of all the state's county association board members.

Mark, what advice would you give someone that wants pure honey without feed and without medications (even thymol)?

deknow

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
If you think that honey from hives which are not treated in someway for pests or diseases is 100% free of pesticides then you are fooling yourself and potentially others. Because it isn't true.
...but if you think that most of the pesticides found in a hive (and honey) actually come from beekeepers putting the stuff in the hive on purpose, it would be 100% true.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
We have a program to raise funds for breast cancer research by selling our honey and other honey. Bee keepers have been very generous and sold us honey at wholesale . I also use my own honey.I am looking for bee keepers who have treatment free honey for sale in the event someone has some information. A number of folks have asked for treatment free honey given their health situations.
Thanks
Not local to you, but have some. What is the wholesale price others have sold it to you for? You can PM me the details.
DeKnow, that sounds about right:D. My advice would be simply do not feed bees once they are established, but even then they are going to rob/find some syrup/sugar from somewhere.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Have you seen Lake county IL. It is nothing but high end manicured homes and lawns. They have the highest use of insecticide and pesticide usage in the whole state. Do the home owners know this? No because they also have the highest amount of landscaping contractors doing the work then any other county in the state. I help with a park district bees in Lake county and we have a great buffer from the Mansions and we still have issues with chemical kills.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Mark, what advice would you give someone that wants pure honey without feed and without medications (even thymol)?

deknow
Buy Squeak Creek Honey, of course.

Where did you get the honey samples tested and what did it cost per sample? What did you have the testers look for?

The NY State Apiculturalist purchased honey from store shelves across the State of NY last year or the year before and found no adulteration in some 40 samples. I don't know if he can actually share the results or if it is just something he can state. I don't know what all was tested for.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
...but if you think that most of the pesticides found in a hive (and honey) actually come from beekeepers putting the stuff in the hive on purpose, it would be 100% true.
I know what has been found in pollen samples taken from a small handful of my hives, but I don't know that those same chemicals can be found in honey from my hives or not. Should I assume?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts