Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1741 - 1744 of 1744 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,741
... worth noting that the mites are dropping do the bees struggling from a slow death compared to a quick kill with alcohol
MSL:

I respect your position on this. Like you, I endeavor to not inflict undue harm or suffering on any living creature and can understand why some would avoid using soap from this standpoint.

That said, I recognize that the collected bees are in-fact insects and as good as dead either way so I personally assign no moral imperative to the method.

In this particular case, we are talking about dead-outs and I offered the dish detergent commentary from the perspective of GregV looking for other methods that might be easier to execute in a remote yard (i.e. it might be easier and safer to pack around a bottle of Dawn rather than a bottle of 180 proof).

I do appreciate your willingness to push-back on my commentary- helps keep things between the ditches!

Russ

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
That said, I recognize that the collected bees are in-fact insects and as good as dead either way so I personally assign no moral imperative to the method
Right, you dealing with "cells" of a superorganism that have a limited life span of a few week and can't reproduce, not much different then a blood sample.. I am completely fine with it as if you need a sample, you need a sample...

My concern was the extra twitching could be traumatic for some, turning them away from washes and maybe samping for good, as often happens looks like I didn't finish writing my thought

Reactions: Litsinger

·
Registered
116 Posts
I for one am thankful for the gift of laughter... even laughing at myself most of the time.

As Proverbs 17:22 reminds us, 'A joyful heart is good medicine, But a broken spirit dries up the bones.'

I sincerely hope you find joy in the midst of everyday life this week.

Russ
Thanks Russ, and may you find laughter as well friend. It has indeed been a gift from God around here at times.

So laugh with me, or laugh at me because I've done some really ridiculous stuff. Either way I hope folks laugh. Everyone feels better when they laugh.

1741 - 1744 of 1744 Posts