Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 6 month old colonies with 10 frame double deep broods that have been extremely productive this year and at one point, had five medium supers on one and four on another. We harvested two off one and one off the other last weekend, did very well but left three on each and then put back on a wet frame super, reserving one, so they're sitting now with the double deeps and 4 supers. Part of the reason for leaving the three on was; A. we had never done this before, harvesting, it went well, nowhere near as messy as I had read and B. some of the outer frames hadn't been capped yet and we thought that we'd give them a little more time while bumbling through our first extraction effort.

With that said, i have a lot of time on my hands (I am working from home now due to COVID restrictions doing 4 to 7 conference calls a day) and I maybe over thinking everything , reading up a lot on beek and spending time observing the hives (even during call-mostly corporate BS). After reading here and from the class we took over last winter (before COVID), I have some questions and worries over mites-perhaps I'm going off the rails. Even after doing alcohol washes 10 days ago (0 in hive and a single maybe in the other) I am still worried that my two apparently strong hives could crash. I am wondering of I'm just being paranoid and should I go ahead and treat or just chill? I have a Varrox wand and am looking at Formic Pro. My girls are still going at it pretty strong, never really hit a dearth here and they've been flying, bring in a lot of white pollens in the morning and apparently nectar in the afternoon. We are just about to hit the goldenrod flow and here in NJ, our first frost isn't until mid-November. I'd like to build out more comb abd maybe get some more honey. Any one want to point a lost newbee in the right direction?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts