Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Treatment Addict-I have a problem!

7347 Views 135 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  ursa_minor
I’ve heard that the first step in solving a problem is admitting that one has it.

My above comments are tongue-in-cheek but I would really appreciate some practical suggestions on how to treat less and also maintain my 100% winter survival rate.

Historically, I treat after honey extraction in late June (Apivar the first 6 years) and again around Thanksgiving. This year I used nothing but OAS, but it was exhausting for me, and unsustainable, in the summer. Next year I’m considering using Apiguard once more, since it can handle the hot temps in Tn.

My threshold using OAS is 50 DMD on the VB after 72 hours. I could increase this threshold.

It could even be possible that my bees would survive without treatments, using just some exceptional TF management. The thing is, I’ve never “tested” that hypothetical.

This question may be best answered by those who have had success with TF; how should I reduce my mite treatments without putting my bees’ lives at risk? I’m not willing to lose even one colony over the winter.

It’s definitely a first-world problem (and, possibly, a question that may receive some flippant answers) but I am curious what the great minds on Beesource have to say…
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
3,394 Posts
#1 I would say switch your monitoring to a wash... better data point and the ability to compare with outhers
#2 would be to use minumin cems to max effect.. ie hit new splits and swarms while they are brood less. and induce a broodless period with say a fly back split to hammer the mites way back in the spring with a single OAV/dribble giveing them a clean restart.

The was a time I could manage my stock with just the spring fly back split (no cems) and a winter broodless drible I have had to add a post flow apaguard as of late to fend off mite bombs

1 - 1 of 1 Posts