Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought three packages today and was told they’ve already been treated by the supplier before they were packaged. I talked to a local commercial beek and he said treat packages when I get them with apivar before the main flow. What should I do? Was gonna treat with apivar like the commercial beek told me if I was gonna treat with anything. I live in Utah and the weather has been unpredictable...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just bought three packages today and was told they’ve already been treated by the supplier before they were packaged. I talked to a local commercial beek and he said treat packages when I get them with apivar before the main flow. What should I do? Was gonna treat with apivar like the commercial beek told me if I was gonna treat with anything. I live in Utah and the weather has been unpredictable...
My friend do a mite check then treat.

·
Registered
11,165 Posts
Generally, do what the commercial beekeeper said. They did not get to have enough hives to make a living by being stupid. Course they are not all perfect either.

However mite testing hives, from a commercial perspective, is very time consuming. For me to alcohol wash to NZ export standards takes around 6 minutes a hive, which is only 10 an hour, to do hundreds of them time adds up. It may be more economical for a commercial beekeeper to just stick in the treatment and you know, job done, no mites, years income safe guarded.

Personally, I would not trust that bees were treated just because i was "told" they were. First, is it true, second, how long ago and what happened since, third, there is treating, and treating.

Testing can get varying results, so many times I have been asked to check somebody's hive that is failing, they told me they tested it and mites are low, I go there it is crawling with mites.

I checked up the price of Apivar, you can get a 10 pack from MannLake for $33.75, that's $11.25 to treat each of your packages. You can then know you are good.

As an aside, I was rather surprised at the cost, that is around double what Apivar costs in my country.

·
Registered
457 Posts
This was a post from April of LAST YEAR.

A lot of old posts popping up so make sure to check the dates before bringing them back to life.

No way this guy got a package of bees in November in Layton, Utah. lol

·
Registered
11,165 Posts
Ah that explains it thanks for the heads up. Yes I did wonder how he was installing packages right now.

I'll check the dates on anything else that looks out of place.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

A lot of old posts popping up so make sure to check the dates before bringing them back to life.

No way this guy got a package of bees in November in Layton, Utah. lol
I ended up treating in the fall and these bees are now going into their second winter made some splits and grafted from these hives.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,825 Posts
Talk about taking a long time to get a response.:)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts

That's probably because at the bottom of the page you see a 'Recommended Reading' with links to old posts on a similar topic. Example, at the bottom of this page I see a link to a thread last updated in 2013, and it's the top link in the list.

If somebody follows that link, and doesn't pay attention to the date, voila, yet another old thread pulled up from the grave.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
When I got packages, I thought they would immediately want water, so I sprayed them. I'd like to know how to do OAV on them before installing. I don't plan on getting more packages.
You dont put OAV on before installing. You install the package, then wait a week. By then they will be 'at home' in the new digs, but will not have any capped brood yet. That is the time to do OAV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts